Sunday, July 3, 2011

Feels Like Home

This morning my plane landed in Peru as expected at 12:50 a.m. However, that's not to say it was a perfect day of flying. My plane out of Chicago left an hour late which then caused my 1 hour 17 minute layover in El Salvador to be a mere 15 minutes. I rushed to the bathroom and hurried to the gate where I was expected to board for Bogota. Praise the Lord that San Salvador is a tiny airport, but wait, an airline change? A warning would have been nice. I spoke to the man at the counter, and he assured me that this was the same flight I had signed up for, so I boarded the plane for a 3 hour journey to Bogota, Colombia. Upon arrival in Bogota, I was patted down and had my bags thoroughly searched before being permitted to travel to my departure gate bound for Lima. There were police with dogs everywhere!! I was a bit nervous as I passed through 2 more security checks before boarding the plane. I found it odd that not once did they check my passport in Bogota.

I was thankful to leave Bogota for Lima, and I was even more excited when the plane landed on familiar territory. All of my nervousness immediately disappeared, and a wave of peace came over me. I quickly passed through customs, translated for a few travelers from America who were very confused about customs and currency exchange, and headed for the exit where Leo was patiently waiting. He drove me to my apartment where I quickly crashed into bed.

Today I've been to the cellphone store, the mall, and Starbucks. I will be meeting friends shortly for lunch, church, and some catching up. I am so grateful to be back here, and I'm honestly amazed at the amount of Spanish I remember. This feels like home minus all of you dear ones there.

I will try to keep this frequently updated while I'm away, and don't forget you can text me (iPod number), Facebook me, or email me. Thanks for your prayers during my time here in Peru!!

No comments:

Post a Comment