Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Numb

Tonight as I sat beside the ocean watching the waves crash against the shore, I became overwhelmed by the grace and mercy offered to me by God through His son Jesus Christ. As I marveled over the immense ocean in front of me, I wanted nothing more than to worship my Father who created this great earth in just 6 days. This month I've had the opportunity to be beside some of the largest mountains in Peru, and now I'm having the opportunity to sit beside the vast ocean. I feel humbled, and I long for nothing more than to spend eternity with the God who created all of this. Words cannot even begin to describe the emotions that overwhelm my soul.

Yet with all of this going on inside me, I feel numb. My heart aches to be leaving behind my dear friends here in Peru. Tonight as I sat beside the ocean listening to the waves, my eyes burned with tears of sadness and gratefulness, yet I was unable to cry. I was unable to do anything; I only sat and existed. As much as I love the ocean and the sunshine we experienced today, my mind continued to wander to Lima, and all of my friends there. I keep thinking back to all the things I didn't do. I didn't make it to the orphanage much, I didn't see some of my friends, and I didn't eat certain foods I've missed. There is just way too much to squeeze into such a short time; it's hard to be so near, yet still so far away.

I'm so thankful to have spent my last weekend in Lima the way I did. Saturday I went to lunch with a co-worker from LISOFT. We enjoyed a nice Peruvian buffet as a small band played in the background music from various regions of Peru. Afterwards, I met with Teresa to run a few errands and chat over coffee. Leo picked us up, and he took up to meet Cassandra. Finally, we met a group of my friends for Chinese before retiring home around midnight to watch a movie.

Nilton, Hector, Teresa, Cassandra, and I watched Soul Surfer, and we spent the night together enjoying the friendship we share. We awoke early in the morning (6:30 a.m.); Cassandra and I readied ourselves for a day in Lima, and the others returned home. Around 9, Cassandra and I met Nilton, and he took us to visit his sister and her 3 month old daughter. From there, we treated Cassandra to a very Peruvian breakfast, and we went to downtown Lima to show her around. We went to an artisan show and walked to the Costa Verde in Miraflores where we met Ulises and enjoyed a gorgeous view of the ocean (despite the freezing cold and damp, cloudy weather). We went paragliding in San Isidro, but we chickened out when it came time to surf. The water was just too cold, and we were running short on time. We ate an authentic Peruvian dinner in Chorrillos, and we walked up the mountain to the Cristo del Pacifico which overlooks the city of Chorrillos and the Pacific Ocean. Afterwards, we went to Camino de Vida (my church), and I began to say my good-byes. Finally, we shared ice cream at McDonalds with some of my friends before we retired home for the evening at about 11:30 p.m.

I'm so thankful for the events that took place my last days in Lima. I'm thankful for the friendships that have lasted from years past, and I'm grateful for the new friendships I was able to create this year. It's not easy saying good-bye, but Nilton keeps reminding me that God does have a plan for those who love Him, and we must be patient until He is ready to reveal that to us.

Therefore, I'm going to enjoy the next three days in Mancora with Cassandra, and I will look forward to sharing lunch with Nilton and Ulises when they meet us in Mancora on Saturday before we begin our 36+ hour journey back to Indiana.

God has blessed me beyond what I deserve, and I desire nothing more than to live my life fully for Him in whatever form that might be. Here or there, I'm ready to serve the Lord and do as He asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment