Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Machu Picchu

I attempted multiple times to write this post and fully be able to express the magic of Cuzco that can be felt, especially from within Machu Picchu. However, I am beginning to think that one cannot even begin to comprehend the wonders of this earth, especially Machu Picchu, with mere words; although, I will do my best to convey what I saw and what I felt.


Tuesday
I had told Gisell earlier in the week that we should secure tickets for Machu Picchu. It is peek travel time in Peru as most Peruvians are on winter vacations. However, she insisted that going the day before would be sufficient. Around noon on Tuesday we left to seek tickets to Machu Picchu; our first stop was the train station. Here we found tickets for Thursday, but nothing was available for Wednesday. Knowing we were leaving for Lima on Thursday, we left, unsure where to go next. We went to a few travel agencies, but left each one feeling a little bit worse than the prior. Prices were high, and space was limited.
After about an hour of searching, we decided to stop at a market and look at the artisan items available. As we walked through the market, Gisell came across some earrings that she really liked. She was talking with the lady about the earrings, when we heard Jesus Adrian Romero (Spanish, Christian singer) playing on her radio. We asked if she was a Christian, and we began talking about our churches. Soon she asked me if I'd been to Machu Picchu, and she insisted that we had to go. We explained to her that we had been trying to find tickets, but that we couldn't find any cheap enough or with 2 available for the time we needed to go. She quick closed up her shop, and went with us to her friend who is a travel agent. We worked with her for about 2 hours and finally we had tickets to Machu Picchu in hand. We were so excited!! Thanks to a common bond of Christianity, we were able to secure tickets.


Wednesday
We awoke at 1:55 a.m. because the taxi was coming to pick us up at 2:15 a.m. We quickly readied ourselves for the day, and began to pace in front of the window waiting for the taxi to arrive. At about 2:30 we received a call that the taxi had been waiting for us but left because we were not there. After much discussion the lady asked for our address, and told us that the taxi should be coming back. We ventured outside, to find the taxi a block away waiting.

We arrived just in time to catch the bus which would take us to meet the train. After a 2 hour, bumpy, bus ride up, down, and around mountains, we finally arrived at the train station. Gisell had to take a different train that me because they don't allow Peruvians and travelers to ride together. Her train left at 5:40, and mine didn't leave until 6:40, so I sat and waited. After a 90 minute train ride, I finally arrived in Aguas Calientes at 8:15...the last stop before Machu Picchu.

Upon arriving in Aguas Calientes, I was directed into a group with a guide to lead us through Machu Picchu. From here, I would be rejoined with Gisell for the rest of the day. In my group I met a man from Brasilia, Brazil who was also traveling alone. Between his Portuguese and my English we were able to find common ground speaking half English/half Spanish. (I know no Portuguese, and he knows bits and pieces of Spanish and English.) We became friends immediately...they say Machu Picchu unites people.

We took a 30 minute bus ride winding up the mountain to Machu Picchu. We finally arrived at 9 a.m. and I quickly found Gisell and the rest of our tour group. Our guide, Nataly, was very informative and kind throughout our 4 hour tour. We enjoyed the time, made new friends, and marveled over God's creation and the intelligence of the Incas.

After our tour of the Inca ruins, we decided to go with some others from our group to climb the mountain of Machu Picchu and walk the path that the Incas used to enter their great city. We spent about an hour and a half climbing and only made it about halfway. It was a marvelous view that took my breath away. I wanted to sit on top of that mountain all day and worship the Lord of all Creation. Words cannot even begin to describe the feeling I had being high above all surrounding mountains. All that I felt, all that I saw brought tears to my eyes. It was like God spoke directly to me and said, "You see all of this, but I am bigger. I can do the impossible if you trust me." I was overcome by emotions; I was breathless and lacking words. I felt God's embrace as the wind swept past me, and He whispered into my ear. It was an incredible moment that I didn't want to let go of; yet eventually we did have to leave.

Together Gisell and I found a place to sit among the ruins of Machu Picchu and rest, breathe, and admire all that was around us. Here we sat for about 30 minutes in silence and awe. Around 4 p.m. we took the bus back down the mountain. We met up with others from our tour group and had dinner before leaving on the train at 7 p.m. I arrived back at the train station at 8:40 and waited for Gisell's train to arrive at 11:30 p.m. I was very nervous sitting in the station alone at night, but with much prayer and thanksgiving, God did protect me. (You would think that even if Peruvians and travelers couldn't use the same train, they'd at least have similar schedules...only in Peru.)

We finally arrived back in Cuzco at 2 a.m. Thursday morning, and both of us dashed to bed without even considering brushing our teeth or washing our faces. It was an incredible day that I will not soon forget. It is only by the grace of God that we were able to find tickets, safely arrive, spend a fantastic day, and return from Machu Picchu.

Here's a few pictures from the day!

Aguas Calientes...the train station :)

Views from above Machu Picchu!
It took my breath away!! 

A little watch tower that sits above the Inca City. 
The only original opening (door) into the Inca City.

The Temple of the Sun.

Such gorgeous scenery!

Evidence that the Incas weren't done constructing 
their city when forced out by Spainards nearly 500 years ago.

Yup, we went mountain hiking.

A view from the top of the mountain.
Our God is so big, so great and so mighty!
There is nothing that He cannot do!


You can't really see it, but this is a picture of the path we followed.
We arrived at the break in the mountains.
(Left side, V shape)

Gisell and I at the top! 

A view from above of the road that leads from
Aguas Calientes to the mountain of Machu Picchu.

Ahhh, no words can describe how
humbled I felt standing here admiring
this great city.


No comments:

Post a Comment