Thursday, July 7, 2011

Adjustments

By now I've learned how to quickly adjust to the culture of Peru; yet there are always those things that throw me for a loop. This year, it's the fact that I'm staying in a very different location than normal, and I'm having to learn new bus routes. My last four times in Peru I've stayed at or very close to the same location. However, this year, I'm living in a completely new district of Lima. It's closer to my friends, church, and most other things (except the kids), but figuring out which buses to take where has been a challenge. Thankfully most of my friends live near enough that they stop and pick me up to go places, and they drop me off afterwards. Only once did I get off at the wrong stop. I knew immediately I wasn't in the right location, so I called a friend to redirect me. She wasn't sure where I was either, so rather than walking to figure it out, I paid a taxi to bring me the rest of the way home.

Because I'm so close to most things, I have spent much time walking and walking and walking. I'm enjoying the savings on transportation, but Lima (especially at night) is wet this time of year, so I often feel damp and cold. As we walk down the street, my friends and I often walk shoulder to shoulder hoping to keep one another warm. All in all, I wouldn't trade these walks for a bus ride any day. Often during these walks fun and intimate conversations are had. I've learned more about some of my friends walking down the street with them then I would have learned riding in a crowded bus.

I've adjusted to staying out late and sleeping in quite well. The bus horns, car/house alarms, and pounding often wake me up each morning, but each day I'm able to sleep through them a little longer. I've adjusted to eating lunch around 1 p.m. and dinner at 10 p.m. or later. I've adjusted to slow internet, quick to the point phone calls (don't want to waste any prepaid money), and television in Spanish. I've learned to ignore the whistles and stares I get as I walk down the street, and I've learned to carry my belongings hidden and close to me. I've learned to be flexible and not to try to schedule things in advance...there's always something going on, I just might not know until the day of. I've forced myself to speak Spanish even when the person I'm talking with has studied English; it's the best way to improve my language skills. I've remembered why I love this place so much, and I'm thankful that God has provided me this month to to spend with friends dear to my heart.

In a few hours I will be leaving for Cuzco. I'm super excited to see this part of Peru's history, but I'm full of nervous energy. I will be spending the next 8 days with a friend who only speaks Spanish, and we will be staying at her aunt's house who also only speaks Spanish. I'm sure I'll get along just fine, but I always worry that I won't understand or that I'll say something wrong. I may not have internet access while I'm away, so I will update this when I return, if I can't do it while I'm away. Prayers for my health (so far so good) and safety (also not an issue thus far) would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment