Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day #2

I went to Jocky plaza yesterday which is a large shopping center with a cinema and multiple restaurants surrounding it. In the last year they have added a whole new outdoor shopping area as well as a DiverCity for children. I was amazed as I walked around the place. It's not a place the average Peruvian would be able to afford to shop at (nor myself actually), but nonetheless, I enjoyed looking through the various shops and imagining what person would be able to afford some of the items. There are some normal stores, but there are quite a few upscale places there as well.

Last night I met friends at church, and afterwards we came to my place to chat over Papa Johns pizza. It was wonderful to reconnect with my brothers and sisters in Christ; however, still feeling very tired from my travels and little sleep on Saturday, I'm afraid I zoned out for most of the conversations. My brain hurt from trying to understand and communicate back in Spanish. I found it interesting that one friend commented to me that my Spanish language seems much better than before, and later I was told I speak like a true Peruvian. Now, I wouldn't say I'm that good!! I only understand about 75% of conversations, and I get frustrated with myself that I cannot respond as quickly as I'd like. 

Teresa and I walking from church to my apartment :)

Today I spent the day with the dear children in Manchay and Pachacamac. I am in awe of the dedication a teacher puts forth for classroom decorations in Manchay. Today I helped a friend paint posters for her classroom that had been previously hand drawn on paper. I spent a good 2 hours on one poster and still hadn't finished it. As I thought back over my time as a teacher in Peru, I recalled all the work my co-teacher put into the decorations around our classroom before I came. It's a completely different way of doing things. As a teacher in the States, I don't have time to hand draw and paint posters for my room; it was a blessing that a mom was able to come in and do very detailed bulletin boards for me last year!

After Manchay, I headed up to Pachacamac! It always feels so good to walk through those doors to be greeted by hugs and kisses and laughing, excited children. The home recently received playground equipment for the children, and it was put together over the weekend. Today the kids were running everywhere, making up games, and asking to be pushed on the swings and tire swing. I enjoyed seeing them chase one another, play together, and scream with excitement. 
A few of the boys tired of the new equipment, and they asked me to play with them. Little did I know, but they were really asking, "Miss Jessica, will you teach me to play North American football?" Not long ago, a mission team came from the States, and they brought footballs along with them. One boy has really caught on well to the technique of throwing the ball, and he was so happy to show me his arm muscles he is acquiring. The other boys needed a bit of assistance, and I enjoyed being able to help them out. We had fun tossing the football around until it was time for me to leave. 





I'm having a wonderful time here in Peru. I hate that everyone asks two questions...
  • When did you arrive?
  • When are you leaving?
I don't like to think about that second one. It's too early to think about going home...

No comments:

Post a Comment