Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Time Flies

I can't believe that I have less than two weeks left in Peru; it seems as if I've just arrived. This week I am taking a lot of time to spend with friends, and next week I will travel north to Mancora to relax on the beach. I'm hoping that the days in Mancora will allow me to rest and reflect before returning to the States. I'm in no way ready to return, although, I hear my mom and dad miss me. ;)

The last two days haven't been as exciting as all my travels, but they've been enough to keep me busy while also permitting me to catch up on some much needed sleep. Yesterday I awoke to my friend calling me telling me she was at the door waiting for me. I was supposed to go to school with her, yet my alarm didn't go off. Haven't slept only 3 hours, I jumped out of bed, changed clothes, brushed my teeth, and hurried out the door with my contacts and make-up in hand. Thankfully I don't drive here, so the ride in the taxi allowed me plenty of time to pull my hair back and put some color on my face. Upon arriving at school at 7:30, my friend informed me that she has "prep" time until noon. I couldn't believe it!! Apparently, she works 45 hours a week and only teaches 24 of those hours. The rest of the time is prep time. Crazy, right?? I helped her grade papers and put together a few things for her lessons, then we had lunch together. At noon, I helped her teach the class about Machu Picchu before leaving to return home.

I came home to shower before Nilton and Ronald picked me up to go to Shannon's house. Shannon has been a missionary with Kids Alive for 5 years, and she is returning to the States tomorrow. She has been here since my first trip in June 2007, and she was a wonderful help while living here in 2009. She was also gracious enough to allow me to stay at her place during my two week visit last year. We spent some time with Shannon talking with her about what comes next and wishing her our farewells. Afterwards we went out for dinner and then to a birthday party for a friend of Nilton's.

Today I spent some time shopping at the market for things to take home with me. Having been to Peru many times before, I didn't buy too much, but it is always fun to go look. I got to take a short nap this afternoon, and this evening I went with my friend Teresa to meet her mother. The three of us went to church, and then we returned to their home for dinner. I left around 11:30, and on the way home the taxi driver was kind enough to tell me that next time I need to leave that area earlier because where he picked me up wasn't safe. That was really comforting to know, but I'm grateful that Teresa did walk me to find the taxi and that the driver was a safe man. Next time, I guess I will know :)

I'm excited to get to bed a bit earlier than normal tonight, and I'm thrilled that tomorrow I get to sleep in a bit. I'm lacking on sleep pretty bad right now, so I'm grateful for these days I have to sit back and relax some.

Please continue to pray for my safety and that I would be a blessing to those in Peru. I would also ask for prayer for my friend Cassandra (from the U.S.) that will be flying in on Saturday. She will be spending the week with me in Mancora, and we will travel home together. Thanks for keeping up with me on my journey here in Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment