Friday, July 15, 2011

Cuzco Reflections

I've mentioned before that this trip is all about stepping out of my comfort zone, and this week was a big stretch in that area. Living with a Peruvian family, on Peruvian time, speaking only Spanish, and learning the love language of self-pride and belittlement were a few of the challenges I faced...not to mention the lack of internet access to connect myself with things/people "familiar" to me. I think we spent about 75% of the week waiting for someone who wasn't ready to leave and about 25% of the week exploring and touring the sites. Gisell is one of few people who can't seem to understand me when I speak, although I think 90% of the time she just didn't listen because everyone seemed to understand just fine. I shed quite a few silent tears throughout the week, and spent lots of time praying for patience, understanding, and a better attitude. Don't get me wrong, though; overall, I did have a great week aside from the frustrations and challenges.

I danced to traditional live Peruvian music in the Cuzco Plaza de Armas (city center).

I ate potatoes literally baked in the ground, next to a gorgeous lake in Chincheros.


We toured the ruins at Chincheros in the evening.

We walked around the Cuzco Plaza de Armas during the day, taking in all the sites.
I got to hold a baby goat, and then was asked to pay because I wanted a picture.

We found a stone with 12 angles (which apparently is a big deal).

We toured the Cathedral, but we were only permitted to take pictures outside.

We drove up to Sacsayhuaman to see the ruins from above (for free).
From this point, you could also see the entire city of Cuzco on the other side.

We enjoyed snapping a few photos of the Cristo Blanco.
He stands watch high over the city of Cuzco and illuminates the night sky.

Last, but certainly not least, we spent a full day (2 a.m.Wednesday - 2 a.m. Thursday)
on an adventure to tour the most famous Inca Ruins at Machu Picchu.
(More about this attraction coming in a later post.)

I learned lots of new Spanish words; many of which I don't remember.
I tried new Peruvian cuisines, most of which contained bread or potatoes.
I'm craving white rice; apparently that isn't a main dish in Cuzco.
Lastly, I met some pretty amazing people throughout the week.
Gisell's family was very generous and kind, 
and I met some new friends during our day at Machu Picchu.

Cuzco is a beautiful city, much different from Lima. It's still very Peruvian in it's look, but it is also very much a tourist city and has been well kept to ensure comfort to its visitors. Cuzco is rich in history with many amazing things to see. I would love to go back again and see all of the things we missed. However, if I did it again, I'd fly. Literally 12+ hours of none stop winding and zig-zagging around mountains is a bit too much for my stomach. Even if you have no desire to ever visit Peru, I would highly recommend considering Machu Picchu for a vacation at some point. I fell in love with the place, and I'm sure you would, too :D



1 comment:

  1. Jessica,

    Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures! I can see why you fall in love with this place! No doubt God has not called you here without a plan and a purpose. I can't wait to see what it will be!

    ReplyDelete