Friday, October 23, 2009

The Week in Review

This week was a rather relaxed week. As far as I can recall, it was the first week where I haven't felt like I'm running, running, running, from one thing to the next. Of course, I still had things to do nearly every day, but it was a different kind of busy.

With the planning and preparations for the school's anniversary behind me, I can focus my work in the classroom on my students goals and the work they must finish before the end of the year (which is only 34 school days away). In theory, each student should finish a minimum of 60 or maximum of 72 "workbooks" during a school year. Coming in halfway through the school year, I have little control over how many the students did in the beginning of the year. I have some students that have only finished 25 "workbooks" and others that have finished 58. This means I get to really push some of my students to finish stuff, and I get to prepare other materials for the students that are ahead to do. It wouldn't be bad, but the extra activities all have to be approved, and well that isn't always easy to do. I've been having to resort to making my students sit and read (which does help with English comprehension) or make them copy words and illustrations from children's books into their notebooks...yup, that's pretty much what my options are. Next week, the students that are ahead and received an 88 on any test will use the extra time to repeat their old workbooks to ensure they have mastered the concepts in the workbooks.

My students did get to enjoy me slightly panic a bit this week, and they got a mini science out of it, too. Wednesday morning my day began with a student almost in tears because a spider was in her office and she was scared. I don't like spiders either, but being the adult in the situation I had no choice but to suck it up and help the poor kid. As I tried to kill the spider it began to climb up the string/silk hanging from the web created in the window. My kids had all kinds of questions about how that little piece of silk can hold the spider and how the web can hold bugs for the spider to eat. I enjoy their inquisitive minds.
Later in the afternoon on Wednesday, a young bird flew into our classroom. (I guess that's what happens when there is no air and the only way to keep the room cool is to open windows - with no screens- and doors.) It was a beautiful, baby finch that barely knew how to fly. I tried my best to ease it onto a board to move it toward an outside source. I'm not sure who was more scared, the bird trying to get out of the room or myself trying to shew the bird out of my classroom without getting divebombed by it's lack of flying skills. My kids got a kick out of watching me and listening to me screech during the process.

I honestly can say, that while somedays I really struggle with the system I'm in; I can say I have liked having freedom in the evenings to be able to go out and enjoy my time here. My life here would have been a lot different if I had to spend my evenings writing lesson plans and preparing materials. However, I can't wait to be a real teacher and plan lessons and activities that agree with my philosophy and methodologies.

This week I was able to go to the Children's home both Monday and Wednesday evening. I went Monday because there is a team here from Canada, and I knew Wednesday wouldn't be very productive homework wise with the children. However, Monday they had special activities at school, so no one had homework. I enjoyed just hanging out with them and meeting a few of the mission team members. On Wednesday, I helped the kids with homework, had dinner with the Canadian team, and attended devotions with the kids. The team along with some of the kids had put together a worship band for devotions. I enjoyed the change of pace as did many of the kids.

Thursday nights Bible studies are always one of the highlights of my week even though I hardly mention them here. You never know who will show up, but the evenings always prove to be beneficial and hold just what God knows I need. This week we were supposed to finish our study of Galatians, but with a very different and small group compared to normal we ended up just talking. We finished the night with some of the Canadian team members playing piano and violin while one of the Peruvians played guitar and we all sang worship music...some in Spanish, some in English.

I'm looking forward to a very relaxing weekend and most likely a similar week next week. However, if I've learned one thing since I got here it's that you can never be too sure of your plans. Things tend to change in a heartbeat. I kind of like it...it keeps things interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment