Wednesday, June 2, 2010

3 Years Ago


Three years ago I left my country for the very first time (Canada doesn't count), and I traveled with 15 people I hardly knew to Lima, Peru to work with Kids Alive. At that point in time I had the dream of teaching in Latin/South America, yet I had no idea that I would be returning to this very place time and time again. During that trip 3 years ago I made friends with people on my team, and I fell in love with the children.

After a rough junior year of university, I lost my dream of teaching overseas and any hope of ever learning the Spanish language other than the bit I already knew. However, for some reason after finishing college, God led me back to Peru with a group of 4 others last summer. During this trip I had a lot of time to sit and process what God had in store for my life. All I could hear him say was, "You'll be back soon, put your trust in me." Most of you know the rest. I found a "job" as a missionary teacher in Peru just a few blocks from the Kids Alive home. I spent four glorious months in Peru, and cried for days upon returning home. (Okay, maybe only I knew about the crying part, but trust me it happened.) Not a day has gone by that I have not thought about Peru and my time here...the amazing people I met, the fun activities I was a part of, and especially the children who stole my heart.

Today I had the opportunity to hang out with the kids in both Manchay and Pachacamac (the new children's home which used to be located on Monte Carlo). I am so thankful God led me to Peru with 15 strangers 3 years ago, and I pray that he brings me back time and time again (or maybe one time for a great length of time...shhh don't tell my parents).

No comments:

Post a Comment