Monday, May 31, 2010

Mi Querido Peru

Finally, after 5 1/2 months, I've made it back to one of my favorite places...Peru!! I've been anticipating this trip since December when I arrived home to cold, snowy Indiana. Of course I love my family and my few friends that are left there, but I also very much enjoy life here. This is my fourth trip to Peru, and my first trip with no plans except to hang out with people and have fun. So far, I've been able to do just that, and I'm excited for the days to come!

After a very long day of travel on Saturday (plus being sick from Malaria pills), my plane finally landed in Peru at 12:08 a.m. Sunday morning. I made it quickly through the Immigration line, waited over a half hour to finally collect my luggage, and then got stopped by a red light at the customs scanner. Here you have to push a button, if the light turns green you pass, but if it turns red, you are one of the lucky ones to have to put your baggage on a belt to go through an x-ray scanner. Needless to say, my bags filled with crayons, markers, notebooks, and other school supplies for Kids Alive seemed a bit suspicious. I had to explain what was in my bags and why I was bringing them into the country. The lady kept me for about 5 minutes asking me why I was here, had I been here before, what was the purpose for the things I was bringing. I was quite annoyed, but tried my best to respond as kindly as possible knowing that she was only doing her job. Finally around 2:00 a.m. (3:00 Indiana time), I arrived to my final destination, quickly put on my pajamas and went to bed.

I forgot how paper-thin the walls are and how loud the "city" is (although the noise level where I'm currently staying is much quieter than where I stayed while I was teaching here). I woke up at 7:15 and was wide awake. I tried to sleep, but instead I lay listening to the noises around me, absorbing it all until about 8:45 when I decided I should organize my belongings, settle myself, and get ready for church. 

I was able to meet up with a few friends at church and we spent the afternoon together hanging out, praising the Lord, and eating pollo a la brasa (kind of like Nelson's chicken if you've had that). I found great comfort in the fact that I was able to pick up right where I left off with these guys. It didn't even feel like I've been gone which is such a great feeling and something I was worried about. I've heard it said before that a friendship built on the foundation of Christ can outlast many of the casual friendships we build out of duty or small talk. I believe this to be very true. I have never met people so on fire for God and so open about sharing it with others. Every conversation, every thought, and every plan comes back to "Solo Dios sabe" "Gracias a Dios" o "Si Dios me permite" (Only God knows, thanks to God, If God allows me).

Today I spent my day helping with the 1-2 year olds at the Oasis (a Family Center which provides childcare for children not old enough for school, homework club for kids in school, and a mom's program to teach single mothers a usable trade). I wasn't able to make it up there while I was here August-December because it's only open during my school hours. However, upon returning today, I was amazed and thrilled that a few of the kids still remembered me by name from my mission trip last June. Hanging out with the little ones today I learned that in Spanish dogs say "wow" but pigs still say "oink". I learned that "yum" and "uh oh" are the same in both languages. I learned a few jump rope songs, and I was reminded of how amazed people are with my height. I'm certain I'll be spending at least a few more days up there with the kids, and I'm looking forward to going to the children's home to see those kids as well.

I met up with a few of the teachers I worked with tonight for dinner and ice cream. Again, I felt like I picked up right where I left off. One of my friends even commented "It feels like we were just together yesterday."


I love this culture, I love these people, and I love this city. It feels so great to be back!!


No comments:

Post a Comment