Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reflection

I am so incredibly thankful for and blessed by the time I was able to recently spend in Peru. It wasn't at all the vacation I expected, but in many ways it was much better. God's hand was definitely with me on this trip, and He knew exactly what I needed in order to come home feeling refreshed and reminded why I love Peru so much. Shannon was a great host, and in many cases, I picked up right where I left off just 6 months ago.

I was able to really get to know some of the leaders and children in Manchay, and I enjoyed working with the kids up there. Normally on mission trips, I've spent lots of time at the Oasis in Manchay, but more to do construction and less to work with the kids. I never imagined working with the kids in Manchay to be part of my excursion, but I loved every minute of it. These kids are what brought me to Peru 3 years ago, and by spending multiple days with them, I was reminded of my original call to Peru.

I didn't get to see the kids in Pachacamac as often as I would have liked, but that was mainly due to the distance of the new home from where I was staying. It's simply too far away. The new home is very different in that the kids are pretty much contained in their houses. I think this will change a bit once they get common areas to gather such as a concha or playing space. I loved seeing the kids in their homes, enjoying dinner as a "family", and hanging out in the living room relaxing as a normal family does after a long day of work/school. I think the new set-up gives them a better sense of belonging, ownership, and pride. I wish I had more pictures, but unfortunately one of the kids deleted all of my pictures from Thursday, June 3.

I didn't get to take a trip outside of Lima like I had planned, but I kept plenty busy with friends in the city. I began to learn the art of surfing, had dinner with multiple friends, spent a couple days at school with a friend, had a worship night with 17 friends, went to a true Spanish birthday party, and made an appearance at a Spanish hip-hop concert put on by a few of my friends and others. I met new friends that I was able to connect with right away, and I got to see old friends I'd sort of lost touch with since December.

I was frequently asked why I wasn't staying longer and when I would be returning. Both questions that made my heart ache. I was not ready to say good-bye again, but God has promised me I will be back in his timing. I love Peru more than anyone can understand; it holds a special place in my heart. God is alive and working in my friends there, and I'm hoping to carry that excitement back to my friends here. Not to mention...the kids there mean the world to me. I'd do anything to be with them night and day. I know I will be back in God's timing; now it's just a matter of patience on my part for his perfect plan to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment