Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Americana-Peruana

So I've been mistaken for a Peruvian a few times in the last couple of days. Other than my dark hair and brown eyes I really don't think I fit the typical appearance of a Peruvian, but if they want to think I am, it's quite alright with me.



Sunday we met some Brazillians on the beach and were asking Gisell and I various questions about Peruvian culture. When I told them I was from the States, they did a double take and continued asking questions. I guess when you're hanging out with a bunch of Peruvians laughing and spilling out Spanish language people just assume you belong.


Then Monday I went to Miraflores to do some shopping, and it happened again. I was asked for directions from some tourists who tried very hard to use their broken Spanish to ask me where Larcomar was. When I asked them if they spoke English they quickly became less timid and started asking me all kinds of things about places to visit and things to do in Peru. I told them what I knew and explained to them I was from the States. At that I got the response, "But you blend right in with everyone, we never would have guessed."



I've been asked directions a few other times in the last couple days as well. Not that you have to be Peruvian to give directions in Peru, but if I were unsure where to go and I had a Peruvian or a white person nearby, I'd definitely ask the Peruvian. Maybe it's just because I'm comfortable with them after being here so many times.


With that said, I'd love to be an Americana-Peruana. If only I could have both worlds in the same place (that place being Lima). If I could uproot my family and my friends in the U.S. and find a school similar in style to an American public school, I'd be here in a heartbeat. Okay, maybe I'd be here in a heartbeat even though I can't uproot everything I love about the US, but for this point in my life, I know God has plans for me in the Northern Hemisphere, and I continue to wait for his plan to slowly unfold before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment