Friday, June 4, 2010

Put It In Perspective

So obviously things are cheaper here in Peru than in the States. I remember when I first returned home, I spent very little money because I was in shock at how "expensive" things were. However, eventually I became accostomed once again to the prices and began to spend more money.

I've had a few conversations about Peruvian salaries vs US salaries already this week. Each conversation, broke my heart even more for these people, and it helped me to better understand how blessed we truly are in the States. Check this out...

A Peruvian teacher in a private school receives a monthly salary of about $240-$500 a month...less than an American teacher makes in 2-3 days.

The average salary in Lima (which is the wealthiest district in Peru) is approximately $350 a month. That means a family with both a mom and dad earning an average salary has a monthly income of $700 or a yearly income of $8400. Mind you that is a family with both mom and dad earning an average salary. Of course there are some that make a whole lot more than that and others that make a whole lot less.

A few of my friends often say, "Gracias a Dios" at the end of a meal. I've not really understood it since we pray before we eat, but after hearing this, I realize now the importance of thanking God for the food we receive. Many people in Peru and around the world pray without ceasing for their next meal, something to fill their stomachs. When God answers that prayer, they know they must give him the praise.

It's obvious that in the US we are rich. I am so blessed, yet often I do not realize it. I hope to never forget the thank God for anything he's provided me.

No comments:

Post a Comment