Monday, July 9, 2012

Pictures from Thursday (July 5)

For those of you not on Facebook, I thought I'd share some pictures from last Thursday. I spent the morning and early afternoon at the Family Center (Oasis) in Manchay and the later afternoon and evening in Pachacamac at the Children's Home (Juniper Tree)

Because of the friendship I have built with Mary (bottom left corner of first picture), I usually end up helping her class of 3 year olds when I visit Manchay. It's stretching for me, but in order to help my friend out, I'll do what I've gotta do. Occasionally I am able to slip away to play with the elementary kids or help them with their homework, but not often do I do so.

Playing in the sand.

 Learning the letter "U"

 Building with blocks!

 Reading stories.

 Physical Education class.

 Racing :)
 They had to hop from one end of the "concha" (soccer court)
to the other with the ball between their legs.

Mary and her class of 3 year olds!

 Fatima and I have bonded over the years!
She is getting so big :'(

 Lunchtime.

 Cool Dude!

Naptime.
This was so precious :)

Pachacamac is a bit harder to organize and visit. It's about a 2 hour bus ride from where I'm staying if I go the way I know how to go. There is a shorter way to get there in a little over an hour, but I have only done it once. Also, because the kids are at school all day and have chores/homework in the evenings, they aren't always available to play. Sometimes I am able to help with the homework, but sometimes the moms prefer them to do it on their own. 
Thursday nights, however, are their devotional night, and the boys play soccer together afterwards. The way this works is that the younger kids meet for devotions at 6pm, they sing, have a message, and do an activity. Then at 7pm the older kids meet for their devotions. When all is done, the younger kids (specifically girls) go to bed, while the boys stay up and play soccer together. A lot of the missionaries or others involved with the home come over this evening, too, to spend time with the kids. 


They talked about doing things with joy. So the kids had a coloring page with people and activities. They then had to cut out the activities and glue it next to a person on the page.

Renzo playing soccer!
He's another one who has gotten so big over the course of 5 years.
It's crazy to see the change from year to year!

Victor being silly. 

All the little girls love Javier!
Although, I do believe he started most of the wrestling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment