Friday, July 6, 2012

Busy, Busy - Quick Update

This week has been incredible...busy, yet relaxing at the same time. 

Although this year has been very different than years past, I am so much enjoying my time here. I haven't gone out with large groups of friends much like normal, but instead I've gotten to spend time with more of my friends one on one or in smaller groups. I much prefer this form of getting to know people, and it's lead to some great heart to heart conversations with some dear friends of mine.

Let me be brief with my update, as it is late, and I am struggling to keep my eyes open.

Tuesday
I spent the day in Manchay assisting my dear friend, Maria (Mary) with her class of 3 year olds. We played, talked about the upcoming teacher's day (Friday), read books, painted, and decorated the letter "u" with blue paper.
In the evening, I helped my Canadian friend Mary with an English event with SIM ministry. They do weekly outreach events for {adult} students in Lima who are studying English. Tuesday night we talked with the group about body language and gestures. We played a short game of charades, demostrated various commonly known gestures and ended by discussing to show love not just with words but also through actions. (1 John 3:18) After the study Mary and I went to each dinner and catch up on life over the last year. 

Wednesday
I woke up around 9:30 with a bad headache. I decided to relax for a while before starting my day. I had plans in the evening, but my morning and early afternoon were free. After showering and getting dressed, I left the apartment with the Daily 5 book in hand and headed to Starbucks for a few hours. I read a few chapters, chatted with a few friends back home, and people watched.
In the evening I met up with a few friends and we went to see Ice Age 4 {in Spanish}. It was a pretty comical movie, and the company was great! Afterwards we went to dinner and chatted for a while. 

Thursday
I woke up this morning feeling refreshed, although I'd only slept 5 hours during the night. I readied myself for a long day of children. I left around 8:30 to head to Manchay. Again I helped Maria (Mary) with her class of 3 year olds. {I'm realizing more and more how perfect a fit 3rd grade is. These young ones wear me out!} I built with blocks, read to a few kids, helped with recreation and outdoor play, painted a poster for the upcoming independence celebration, and spent time talking with a few of the primary aged children. All in all it was a fun day in Manchay!
Javier came to meet me, and we headed to Pachacamac to the Children's Home. This is my favorite place to spend time while I'm here, but I don't make it out that way often because the kids are in school all day and have homework/chores in the evenings. Tonight was their devotions though, so it was a good excuse to go hang out with the kids. I got to see all of them tonight, which was such a joy since last week I only saw about half of them. The little girls all attacked Javier, and I spent time chatting with a few of the teenagers. These children are so precious to me, and I love any time I get to be with them. Even if we sit watching the boys play 'futbol' I love hanging out at the home.
Javier and I went out for dinner afterwards, and we shared great conversation. He is one of the first close friends I had here in Peru, and I am thankful that we have been able to continue that friendship despite his busyness working on cruise ships, working odd hours, or traveling between North and South America. 

This Weekend
I'm headed out of Lima to a warmer place {I forget where} to camp with my dear friend Teresa and her family. It should be a great time, and I'm excited to feel the warm sun. It's been warmer than usual for this time of year {70-75 degrees most days} here in Lima, but it still isn't hot. I know you are all killing for cooler temps in Indiana, but here I'd be happy if the sun came out and warmed us up a bit. 

Pictures
I hope to upload some Sunday or Monday before I leave for Huaraz. I put what I have on Facebook, so if you're my friend, look there to see them. 

Prayer Concerns
Pray for me this weekend as I spend time with a Peruvian family. I have come to love Teresa's family, but sometimes being with a family here can have its challenges {as it would be for anyone entering a foreign culture}. Pray that this weekend goes well and that we have a great time together. Also pray that I can be a witness to her family as not everyone is Christian. 

I leave Monday evening for Huaraz. Leo bought my ticket today for the bus, so there is no backing out now. Pray for peace of mind as I prepare to leave and pray for safety while traveling. Also please be in prayer that I am able to effectively translate and share the Word of the Lord with the people we come into contact with. 

I miss you all back home, but it seems like I never left this place. I feel so at home here! I know now is not the time for me to move here {although I've been offered two interviews just this week}, but this is where my heart longs to be. Continue to pray for me as I spend time with the kids and friends throughout the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment