Monday, July 9, 2012

American Culture




My first weekend here in Lima I had an interesting conversation with a dear Peruvian friend of mine about mission. As we talked, I began to express some of the things I have realized bout myself and my role in ministry over the course of the last year. One of those things being that I don't know that I see myself coming full time on the mission field until I am married and have someone to come with me. Not saying I'm not open to coming alone, I just feel that at this time that is what God has revealed to me.

"WHAT?!" he exclaimed, and I proceeded to attempt to explain myself. I expressed that I've talked with other missionaries who have done it alone and have received mixed opinions. Some saying being single allows you more freedom to be involved wherever you choose, while others have expressed the difficulty they have felt in not having someone alongside for support and understanding. 

As I've had these conversations, I can't help but think back to my time teaching here in 2009. I had a blast (outside of school), I learned a lot, I grew up and matured, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However, there were many times where I felt lonely despite my super busy schedule. Yes, I had American/Canadian friends to talk with, but no one really knew me outside of the context of me here in Peru. 

I tried to explain this to my friend, and he asked me, "What is the American culture? How is it different?" That I wasn't sure how to respond. I tried to explain that we are a people of schedule and routine. What we say we are going to do happens when we say we're going to do it. We work Monday-Friday and go out on the weekends. Beyond that I wasn't sure how to express the differences in thinking and ways of doing things. "It's just different," I said, and my friend responded, "But you fit in just fine here." That was a comforting statement, even though sometimes inside I feel very different from what is expressed on the outside. 

For example, three times my first week here I had "plans" with friends who had said they would call me the next day to confirm a time and place to meet. I waited, and the calls never came. So what did I do (being a schedule oriented person)? I called to find out where I am supposed to be when. All three times, I found out the plans were cancelled because other people couldn't come. Now in the States, if the plans are cancelled, you would call and tell the person that. However, here, one is just to assume if you don't here specific plans, they aren't happening. Being a schedule oriented person, all three times I had other offers of things to do, but I've turned them down because, "I have plans." Luckily two of the three times, I was able to call the other offers and go out with them anyways. 

This is just one example of the difference between American culture and Peruvian culture. It's something I face every year, and after about a week I do learn to adjust. The first week is always the hardest, then usually I'm fine and learn to not expect anything and to have a backup plan.

If someone asked you how you'd explain the American culture, how would you describe it? What kinds of things stand out to you?  (I asked this in another post and only got one comment. Please, help me out here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment