Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Living the Busy Life

I haven't had much time to sit recently, so therefore, there hasn't been much time to update my blog. I finally uploaded my Huaraz pictures to Facebook last night. Today I am just relaxing a bit. I have lunch and dinner plans, but aside from that, I'm just taking things easy. I leave on Monday for the USA, and while I want to see as many friends as possible before I go, I'm feeling quite exhausted. Yesterday, I no more than sat down on the bus and as we started moving, I felt myself nodding off. It was all I could do to keep myself awake for the hour long bus ride. It's nice to have a day to wash laundry, upload pictures, balance my checkbook, and chat via Skype with a few of you I've been missing.

Rather than boring you with a long post about everything I've done in the last week, I'll share some pictures/captions with you.

Wednesday


I went with a two of the summer Kids Alive interns to the water park (Fountain Park).
We got into a few fountains and got a bit wet, but we had a blast.



We watched a light show on one of the fountains. 
Reminds me of family vacations at Disney.


Thursday


I hung out in Manchay for the day.
We put up decorations for the Dia Familiar (Family Day).



I traced and painted this poster of the three "people" types in Peru.


At night I hung out in Pachacamac for a few hours with these darling children.



Saturday


I played for Team Oasis in the Volleyball Tournament during Family Day.
We won the first round and lost the second.



I ate way too much food!


I met Juan Carlos's wife and hung out with some pretty cool kids, too!


Saturday evening I went to a wedding with a friend. I didn't know the couple getting married, but it was still fun to see a Peruvian wedding (my first one). Honestly, it wasn't as elegant and decorated as I imagined it would be, but then again the couple was older (mid-30s I would guess), so maybe they just wanted something simple. It was still a nice ceremony, and I had fun. I didn't take any pictures, so unless Javier uploads some to Facebook, I have none to share with you.


Sunday

I went to church with a friend in the morning. She had told me to plan to be there from about 10:30-2 including lunch. I arrived at 10:30, and we had an hour and 15 minute Sunday school hour. Afterwards there was a ten minute break, and the service began at noon. About 2:15 the pastor wrapped up his message on the church in Acts. The sermon was then followed by a baptism which was very similar to what we do in the States. Each person shared how they came to know Christ, and then they were baptized in a tub of water. Finally about 3pm we settled down to eat lunch.



In the evening Wong (a large grocery store in Peru) hosted a parade to kick of the Fiestas Patrias (Independence Day celebrations). Independence Day for Peru is July 28.
We didn't get to see much of the parade because it started at 4pm and we arrived at 6. The streets were crowded, and it was difficult to see over the large crowd. However, the fireworks were awesome (especially since I missed fireworks in the USA both this year and last year).


Look who Trinh and I found to hang out with.
Actually we all planned to meet; however, finding one another was a bit difficult due to the crowds.


Monday

The Oasis Center in Manchay hosted their Fiestas Patria Party. Each classroom dressed up as a province from Peru and did a march around the upper level for the parents.
Mary's class (3 year olds) dressed up in traditional costumes of Cusco.





Here I am with {right to left) Mary, Gabriella (summer Kids Alive Intern), and Tanya (classroom helper).


The intermediate aged kids dressed up in clothing from the coast of Peru.


The primary age kids dressed up in jungle clothing.


They made me march as the Madre de Patria (Mother of Independence).
I lead the 3 year olds in, but they seemed to be shy following me.



A picture with all the staff from the Oasis Center (minus Juan Carlos).


Monday was also Liberato's birthday. I bought a tres leches cake for us to share together after the Fiestas Patrias march was finished. It was the best tres leches cake I've ever had.

No birthday celebration is complete without singing 4 versions of Happy Birthday.
{Two Spanish version, English version, and Chinese}
You also must get a bit of frosting on your face.




Happy Birthday, Liberato!


It's hard to believe that I leave next Monday already. I am not ready to say good-bye to my new friends and old ones alike. It's incredible how quickly these people begin to feel like family. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here this summer, and just like every year it will be hard to leave. It's amazing how every time I return there are new adventures to be had, new ministries to be a part of, and new people to know. I feel at home here; I feel content and happy. Although I also realize, it is one thing to be here a few weeks at a time, be free to hang out whenever I want, and free to do as I please. I'm sure if I were living and working here it'd be a different story. Sometime in the future, I would love to come and do full time missions in an orphanage or some sort of translating evangelism as I did in Huaraz. I guess in time I'll have to wait and see where the Lord leads.

Here's to five more, busy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment