Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Peace & Awe


Imagine for a minute sitting at the bottom of the tallest cliff/mountain you can think of. How small do you feel as you look up at the mighty mountain standing before? Now imagine yourself turning around to see the vast ocean on your other side. It’s humbling, it’s calming, and it’s the very definition of peace and awe; at least for me anyways.

Sunday, I was able to do just that. I had been invited to go to a birthday party/BBQ for the one year old daughter of a friend of a friend. {confusing I know} However, I wasn’t feeling overly excited about it when another friend, Hector, asked if I wanted to go to the beach. Of course, a day at the beach trumps nearly anything else, so I decided I would go. We met up with a few of Hector’s friends, and while they surfed I sat along the shore taking pictures, listening to the waves hit the shore, and marveling over the majestic creation that was surrounding me: cliffs, waves, pelicans, families, and even rocks. Despite the cool breeze and gray skies, I couldn’t help but praise the Lord for his creativity and the opportunity to sit at the bottom of a mountain in awe of the vast sea that lay before me.

I spent a lot of time praying and quietly humming some of my favorite worship songs. While I am enjoying my time here in Peru, things are definitely different this year; some for the better, and some of it, well, it’s just how things go. Throughout the weekend, God sent me many reasons to be grateful and happy here. He reminded me many times of His purposes for me in Peru, and He showed me his love through friends, a great church service, and even some one on one time at the beach.

Sunday evening at church, the pastor spoke from 2 Timothy 4:6-8; here Paul speaks of finishing “the race”. Paul was a fighter and a finisher. No matter what trials he faced, he kept the faith and finished the race God had set before him. My heart was filled as I was reminded that my “race” in the States is to train my students to be responsible, knowledgeable citizens, and my “race” in Peru is to love on God’s people by lending a listening ear, sharing His truths, and helping out as needed in the various ministries I have come to know during my stays here in Peru. Even though things are different this year among my friends, that isn’t my full purpose here. The Lord has even greater things in store for me, and each day I know that He is using me for His purposes even when things don’t go as planned.

Monday I spent time with a few girls that are here interning with Kids Alive for the summer. We went to Miraflores. {I’ve been there more this year than I think I ever have been in the past.} We went to the markets to buy Peruvian artisan crafts, we walked to LarcoMar which is a mall built into the side of the cliffs, and we gazed out over the ocean. We chatted over lunch and enjoyed delicious ice cream before returning home this evening. I enjoyed the time with people of similar cultures, and I must admit it was fun to hang out with a group of girls for a while.

Girls here tend to be controlled by their families; still most of my female friends must ask permission to leave to hang out with me. Many times it ends up as me hanging out with the guys, which I have grown accustomed to, but it isn’t always ideal. I enjoy my girl friends here; I just wish they were more free to spend time with me.

Let me leave you with a verse…

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” ~2 Timothy 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment