Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ramblings of Day 3 (and a few omitted from Day 2)

Taxi Drivers

I forgot to mention in my last post the crazy taxi drivers I had on Tuesday as I arrived at my various friends' homes. The first taxi driver I had was listening to a Peruvian radio station when I got into the car, but being a young(er) man, he promptly changed the station to English when I got in. I had to chuckle to myself as he sang the wrong words, very loud, and off pitch. He then missed a turn I told him to take and in the end when he got turned around to where we were headed, he charged me 3 soles more because it was further than he thought it would be. (I was told he had already ripped me off charging me 8 soles when it should have been no more than 6.) Ten soles and a bit of frustration later, I arrived at Gisell's house. Later on the way to Teresa's home, I got in a taxi with an older man who was listening to awful classical music. I could have handled it better, but he was playing it so loud that when I received a call, my friend on the other end couldn't hear me over the music. Lastly, as I arrived home, I again was in the taxi with an older man. He was quite the talker, and he asked me where I was from and why I was here, told me about his brothers in California, and attempted to teach me Quechua (another language spoken in the mountains of Peru). We also chatted about missions and why church and Christianity is so important to me. Because we were laughing and having a good time, I didn't pay attention to where my road was, and he passed it. Thankfully I realized it another block down the road, and he turned around and went back...free of charge might I add. He asked if I would take his email address and email him because he had some more questions about Christ. I haven't emailed him yet, but I do believe our paths crossed for a purpose last evening.

Mission Trip

My friend Leo asked me last evening if I would want to/be able to go with a medical team July 9th-17th to the highlands of Peru and translate for a doctor. Leo told me I could go free of charge, and I decided I would assist. I would like to ask for prayer as I am nervous about not knowing medical terminology, and I don't know any others going on the trip apart from Leo. The team is coming from the States, so at least we'll have that in common, but I don't know how many, males/females, ages, etc. I do believe, however, that this trip is in the plan of the Lord for me this summer. It will be a very new experience for me, and I know it will stretch me a lot. It will be a mission trip like none I've done before, but I trust the Lord will be with me through it all. Your prayers are much appreciated before and during this trip.

What I Did Today

Today, I was able to go to Manchay to spend time with the kids at the Family Center (a part of Kids Alive here in Lima). I helped with the 2 & 3 year olds mainly to spend time with my dear friend Mary, a  teacher whom I have grown very close to during my trips down here. Mary is a very grateful and humble woman. She is so encouraging and a woman of extreme faith. I have learned so much just from her character, and I am grateful to be able to spend time with her year after year.

There are a few interns here with Kids Alive that I was able to connect with briefly today. I exchanged phone numbers with one of the girls, and I believe I'm going to take them around Lima on Monday. That should be fun!

This evening, I went to dinner with my dear friends Javier and Nilton. We had Chifa (Peruvian Chinese), and sat and talked for a few hours. I love reconnecting with old friends here. It always seems we are able to pick up right where we left off the year before. Of course, the two of them together is a crazy combination, but at least they make me laugh, and we had a great time together!

Upcoming Event/Prayer Requests

My trip to "La Merced" at the edge of the jungle this weekend has been cancelled. I'm beginning to think that it's not meant for me to go to the jungle because it never seems to work out for me to go. However, this weekend is quickly filling up with things to do, so I was slightly relieved to not have to decide which was more important for me to do.

Next weekend (July 6-8) I plan to travel with Teresa and her family 5 hours from Lima (on the coast still though) to camp. We will be staying at a country club where there is lots to see and do. Pray for me as I prepare for this time with them. 

I'm attending a Medical Mission Trip to Juaraz July 9-17. Pray for my nerves leading up to the trip and safety and knowledge while on the trip. (See above for more information.)

Surfing Camp Outreach {July 20-22} - Some friends are planning to help with this outreach and have asked that I attend. I haven't decided for sure that I will, so pray for clarity as I do make my decision. 

This month is filling up fast. It's hard to find time to go to Pachacamac to the orphanage to see the children, but I am hoping to go at least once next week and a few times after I return from Juaraz. I will also be helping in Manchay a few days a week. I love being here, but it's just so much to pack into a short amount of time.

Continue to pray for my safety and my health while I am here, also. My stomach has been a little off since I arrived, but it's nothing to stop me from doing what I love. I miss you all back home who are reading this. 

Mom and Dad, everyone asks how you are and when you are coming! I think it's time for you to make a trip down here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment