Friday, June 29, 2012

High & Low

Highlight of my day: Hanging out with the kids of the children's home in Pachacamac!

My friend Leo {whom I met on my first trip here in 2007} picked me up at noon to take me to the children's home. After stopping {and waiting} at the hospital to pick up his pastor and wife to take them home, we headed to Manchay to drop them off. Then we stopped for lunch at a seafood place in Manchay, and then we headed to the children's home. We arrived around 3. Some of the children were in classes, but the ones who were able to play ran up to me and smothered me in hugs and kisses. They asked to be pushed on the tire swing, swung around by the arms, and we ended our time playing soccer {might I add that I am no pro soccer player}. At 4:30 I said goodbye, we headed to wash Leo's car, pick up his clothes, take his nephew home, and he got me a cab to bring back to my house. I was grateful for his willingness to let me tag along with him today. :-)

It is so fun that the kids recognize me year after year. They grow and change so much in 11 months! I had to laugh today when I got out of the car and one of the 7 year old girls asked if Leo was my husband. I quickly explained that we are just friends! :)

Lowlight of the day: Cancelled plans with friends...

...and not being able to get ahold of my dear friend Teresa who I had told I would call if my other plans didn't work out {because I suspected they wouldn't}. I had tentative plans to go to the movies with some friends tonight, but nothing was ever set in stone.  Teresa and I had planned to go to the beach tonight should the other plans fail. Instead, I sat home and relaxed because I could not reach her. It was nice to relax a bit, but it would have been more fun to go to the movies or the beach.

Other Random Noteworthy Items

The place I'm staying has filtered water, so I don't have to buy large bottles of it to drink. That saves me money.

I was told this place was built with "large" pipes, so I can flush my toilet paper. However, this causes problem when I go other places because I tend to forget I can't flush it. It's easier when it's all or nothing. Haha :)

I bought a few groceries on Tuesday when I arrived, and I've not touched any of them. Shows you how much I eat in while I'm here. Honestly, it's cheaper to eat out. (8 soles = $3 for a sampler platter of rice, fried seafood, potatoes, and ceviche: more food than you'd get a Red Lobster!)

I'm glad I bought new TOMS before I left. The closest place to get a taxi is about 3 blocks from my house, the grocery store/bus pick up/drop off is about a 10 minute walk, and this morning I went for a 25 minutes walk around the neighborhood just for fun. I wish I walked this much in the States. However, there it's easier to just hop in the car and go...sadly.


Let me leave you with a question...

I had a conversation with a friend last night who asked me what our culture was like. I wasn't sure how to explain it. How would you explain the American culture? Answer me in a comment below, please :) {I'll post more about our conversation at a later time.}

1 comment:

  1. I would say our culture values work, looks and leisure time. We work too much and get too little leisure time. While other countries work fewer hours per week than Americans, we get less holiday/vacations. Our society also values how a person looks. Everyone wants to be beautiful and thin. We spend a fortune on losing weight, hair, make-up and working out. Wealth is the thing people want the most and some people, sadly, will do whatever it takes to get it. Family life varies from person to person. For me it is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete