Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Late Night Musings

Despite my exhaustion, I am finding it difficult to sleep. My mind keeps replaying the events of last weekend in North Carolina and then wandering to thoughts of my upcoming trip to Peru. This summer has already been a blast, Peru will be fun, and when I come home, it will be time to dive back into prepping and planning for a new school year. It seems crazy!

Last Saturday my dear friend Liz got married on the beach in North Carolina. It was a simple wedding, yet it was beautiful as well. I drove down on Wednesday with three of my college friends, and we were reunited with eight other dear friends on Thursday and Friday. It was so fun to hang out with everyone. We laughed, we danced, and we slept very little. The exhaustion that I feel is totally worth the joy that I felt hanging out with my best friends on the beach all weekend. I was sad to say good-bye, but I'm thrilled that the next reunion is another wedding planned in Nashville in early January. Let the countdown begin!!

As I unpacked my suitcase this evening, I was overwhelmed with nerves and excitement for my fast approaching return to Peru {June 25-July 30}. I get this way every year, but this year seems different. A lot has changed since my visit last summer both in my life and in the lives of my Peruvian friends. For me personally: I have my own apartment, I've found a church I love, I've made new friends, and I've found a sense of contentment here I haven't felt in a while. In Peru my friends are graduating university, working, dating, traveling, and who knows what else. This year will be different.

In the last three months the Lord has really been working on my heart and mind (not that He doesn't all the time, maybe I'm just paying attention more now). Peru will always hold a special place in my heart, and I still do long for the opportunity to return to Peru to work in ministry of some form. However, I am realizing that at this time that isn't God's plan for my life; it has been my plan all along, my dream, and my desire. God has provided amazing opportunities for me to return to Peru for short visits, but His intentions for me at this time are not long term; perhaps that will change later in life.

With that being said, I'm viewing the summer in Peru as my time for closure. I will use my time to enjoy the friends I've made and the ministries that I've been a part of, but I will not use it to meet with principals and scout out schools as I've done in the past. I'm sure it will be hard saying good-bye at the end of my five week visit, but I can honestly say that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has me right where He wants me for the time being. It's exciting to feel that sense of peace, but at the same time a part of me is still wanting to hold on to my dream of "getting out of this town". Maybe one day I'll get that opportunity; for now, I'll enjoy the mini vacations I'm able to take.

If you would, please join me in prayer as I prepare for my departure Sunday evening. It seems that there is lots that needs to be done before I go. Also pray for my time in Peru. Pray that I would be a blessing to the Peruvians and that I would get the closure that I need as I say hello and good-bye to friends who have become like family. At this point, I am not planning on returning next year {I hope to pay down on my college debt instead}, so leaving at the end of July could be tough. Please pray for my safety traveling, pray for my health as I deal with different climates and air than I'm used to here in the States, and pray for my ministry, that I would joyfully spread the good news of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to the Peruvians I am in contact with.

I will be posting contact information soon for all of you! Look for those details in my next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment