Monday, November 16, 2009

Twenty-Three

Taylor Swift wrote a song about life at the age of 15. In the song she shares about all the things teenage girls think are important. One of my favorite parts of the entire song is, "But in your life you'll do things greater than dating the boy on the football team." A few lines later she sings, "When all you ever wanted was to be wanted. Wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now."

It's interesting the things we know and how much more we have to learn. I can honestly say, I never dated a guy on the football team, but I can relate with the song in other ways. When we're young the things that are important to us are often so small. As we grow older though, our passions and desires seem to change with us. As we become more mature and grow in our relationships with Christ our focus changes...at least mine has.

Last week I turned 23. The day itself wasn't much different from any other day, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. My students sang to me and gave me a giant card with some very funny messages written inside. I received many hugs and kisses from my students, and my first graders went around and each one said kind words to me which almost put me in tears. At Bible study, Elise made a red velvet cake, and everyone sang to me in English, two versions of Spanish, Chino, and they began another song as I blew out the candles not once but three times (Juan Carlos wanted the perfect picture).
Many pictures were taken of me being fed cake or feeding cake to others as teasing was being passed around the table as well. This is just one of the many pictures...I'm pretty Diego was making a comment in English that Nilton didn't understand as he only speaks Spanish. I'm rolling my eyes embarrassed about what is being said while Diego laughs and Nilton tries to figure out what is going on.

As I blew out the candles, I was reminded of all the "wishes" I'd made on many different birthday cakes throughout my years. Some of my wishes have been so shallow...I hope I get that toy for my birthday, I wish a certain boy would like me, etc. Maybe a few of those wishes came true throughout my life, but looking back on life now, those things while important at the time have little significance now.

I couldn't help but think Thursday evening about the country where I'm currently living, the children that I work with day in and day out whether that be at school or through Kids Alive. Kids that have nothing but are filled with joy. Children who hardly know their parents or kids that have been abandoned, yet they love so much. Kids who sometimes I wonder if their faith in God is greater than mine because they know how to look to God for literally EVERYTHING they need. I was overwhelmed by these thoughts and more as I celebrated my birthday. This year I wished simply to make a difference.



This picture was taken at devotions one evening at the children's home.
Antony always joins me on my lap during these
precious moments on Wednesday evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment