Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Timeless Memories

Tonight, as well as every other Wednesday night, I was blessed to be a part of devotions with the kids at the Children's Home as well as a little birthday celebration for one of the children.
Devotions with the older kids.

wE aRe FaMiLy!




Helping Vanessa understand her reading assignment about a slave girl in the United States around the time of 1716 and the Stamp Act...and I hated literature and history as an American student, let alone trying to learn American History as a Peruvian student.


Birthdays are a special reason for celebration.

I spend my entire day working with kids at school. Often times at 3:15 when my students leave, I am worn out and ready to kick back and relax. However, despite the exhaustion I often feel after a day's work, Wednesdays at the Children's Home are one of my most cherished parts of each week. When I arrived in August I started going on Wednesdays to help the children with their homework, particularly the students taking English courses. A few weeks later, Tuesday night devotions were moved to Wednesday evenings, so my night of homework also became a time to worship with the kids and learn more about our Saviour through the messages presented. I've gotten to celebrate the kids birthdays with them, I've learned lots of fun songs, and I've gotten to know the hearts of each child a little better through these times. These kids are the reason I'm here. Despite my love for teaching, I enjoy spending my free time with kids that just need someone to love them.
In exactly one month I will be sitting in the Jorge Chávez International Airport waiting to board my plane back to the United States. I am in disbelief at how quickly the last 3 months have passed, and while I am thrilled to be home just in time for Christmas, I am already dreading the good-byes that lie ahead. I am praying strongly, and I would like to invite you to pray with me and for me, as I seek out the path that lies beyond my current position. I feel a strong peace about returning to Perú next year, but I am still praying to see what God wants. Part of returning will require me to have a job which I have not yet encountered. Perhaps, that is God's way of telling me I will remain in the States. If that is the case, I wouldn't be upset, but leaving here in December will not be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment