Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chasing the AMERICAN Dream

Earlier in the year I came across the book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream  by David Platt. In all honesty, it took me a while to get through the whole thing because of the heavy, thought provoking concepts presented. While the book was very challenging and convicting, I have gained new perspective and even some frustration about the way we in America live our lives whether we're conscience of it or not.

Sadly, most of what we do is for selfish gain. (Now I'm not saying this is true 100% of the time for 100% of the population, but we are all guilty of it on occasion including myself.)  Life in America is one giant competition for the flashiest car, biggest home, nicest clothes, etc. Ever heard the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones"? I'd say most of us are doing a pretty good job of it if we really think about it. Even our insurance companies advertise insurance on television stating that they'll protect your AMERICAN DREAM (American Family Insurance).

I'm heartbroken for all the lives mislead by the drive to achieve this "dream". Life is about so much more than that. Even Christ warns against earthly treasures in Matthew 6:19-21 when he says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and were thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...for where your treasure is, there your heart will also be."

David Platt speaks of the emptiness of the American dream versus the call to serve and minister in his book Radical. He challenges the reader to take a step out of the comfort zone and live the life God has called us to live. Maybe that means spending less "fun" money each month to sponsor an orphaned child or saving up pennies, nickels, and dimes to fund a project for the homeless. Maybe God's even calling you to take a trip somewhere to serve the lost, or He could be calling you to meet the needs of someone right in your own backyard. Whatever it is, I believe David Platt hit it right on the spot when he states that the American dream doesn't fit the faith God has called us to live out each day (summarized).

I can't help but compare the American dream to the Peruvian lifestyle. Of course there are Peruvians whom are inward focused, but as a nation, they are very concerned with the well-being of others around them. Especially in the Christian community, they care about their neighbors, and they live life together. It isn't about me fending for me and you fending for you. It's about us helping one another out in times of need. It's about us working together, making sacrifices for one another, and using our time not for ourselves, but to further the kingdom of heaven. It's not about a dream or standard society dangles in front of the face, but it's about surviving and being grateful for what little they do have. For most of my Peruvian friends it's all about faith and following the Lord because earthly treasures are few and far between.

I don't want to settle for the American dream; I don't even want to live my life trying to achieve it. My desire is to live for the Kingdom, storing my treasures in heaven. God didn't put me here to live for my own selfish gain. He gave me this life for His gain, and I pray in all that I do, my life would bring glory to his name. My deepest longings are to reach the lost of this world, and to hear my Lord say to me on judgement day, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment