Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago

Ten years ago on September 11, 2001, I was a freshman in high school sitting in my first year of Spanish class, when our teacher reported to us that an airplane had hit the World Trade Center tower. At the time, we weren't sure if the malicious act had been an accident or planned activity. As we listened to the radio, we learned that not one but both towers had been hit, and the event was being reported as an act of terrorism. We also learned of the destruction at the Pentagon and the loss of life due to a plane crash in a Pennsylvania field. Moments later our teacher found a mobile TV and allowed us to spend the class period watching the news reports of the event.

Shocked and confused, I silently began to pray as we watched the horrific events and listened to the news reports. It was in these moments that I recall for the first time honestly thinking, "Wow! This world really needs to know and understand the love of Jesus." I knew it before, but I understood that need more than ever when I heard that the men who had hijacked these planes had done it because of their "faith." How misled they had been, and how devastating that they died believing this was the way of salvation.

Later in the year, I recall my Spanish teacher telling me during a one-on-one graded Spanish conversation, that if I continued to pursue my studies of the Spanish language, she knew I would go far with it. It was also in this Spanish 1 class that I began to sense God's calling me to minister and teach overseas. At the time, I didn't put all of these things together, but today, as I sit and recall the events of 9/11, I'm in awe of how perfect God's plan is for me, even ten years ago.

It's amazing how far ten years has brought America and myself. I don't generally consider myself a very patriotic person, but I will never forget the events of September 11th, and I will continue to sympathize with the loss of life on that tragic day.

1 comment:

  1. Your words here, Jessica, are encouraging. My daughter is just starting to get into her spanish and linguistic classes and she has chosen these subjects as a tool to be able to minister to people in other countries. Your love of Spanish and other countries is encouraging.

    I hope your year is going well! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete