Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Answered Prayer

I've learned time and time again that prayer really does work. However, often when I don't get an immediate answer I'm quick to become frustrated and in some situations I quit praying for that specific thing altogether. However, God recently reminded me the power of prayer and His faithfulness. After praying almost weekly for the last couple of years for a friend of mine who had turned her back on Christ, she is finally seeing the Light and surrendering her life to the Lord once again.

You see, recently a friend of mine from college (and ironically originally from about 15 minutes from my home) moved back to the Goshen area after her mother had a near-death bicycle accident. Thankfully, her mother is on the long road to recovery with only bodily injuries and a normal functioning mental capacity. My friend has a nursing background which has allowed her mom to be able to heal in the comfort of her own home and resulted in slightly less medical expenses. While the tragedy her mother suffered and survived is unbelievable and praiseworthy, the renewing of faith my friend has experienced is encouraging and a long awaited answer to prayer. 

During our sophomore year of college, this friend made some poor choices and gradually fell further and further into the trap of sin and darkness. She's lived this life for about the last 5 years, believing she had everyone fooled. Little did she know, but there was a prayer force praying for her regularly, and God was listening. He has answered the prayers of his dear ones, and He has saved the soul of my friend. Sadly, it took a horrific event to bring her back to Christ, but sometimes God must send wake up calls to snap us out of our selfish ways. It's been a miraculous transformation, and it's been encouraging to me to see God not only answered my prayer for my friend, but He's also answered a prayer of needing a Christian friend my age in this town. 

This friend and I have been spending time together every Tuesday evening for about the last month. She randomly contacted me a few weeks after her mother's accident and asked if I'd want to meet up with her. Having not talked in over a year and a half, I was excited to reconnect with my friend, and we've made it a weekly routine. Our evenings usually begin with dinner, and we end them by walking around town or through an area park, taking in the beauty of the creation around us. (We'll have to find something else to do after dinner once winter comes.)

I've really been struggling with my purpose here in Goshen, Indiana, and my strong desire to return to Peru doesn't seem to fade. However, God keeps reminding me to enjoy my family while I have them close, and He's ensured me that there is a purpose at this time for me here. Last week as my friend and I walked the path to the Goshen Dam, we talked about God's plan for each of our lives, and I expressed to her my desire to do ministry in Peru. I talked with her about my longing desire to be there, and she replied by telling me how thankful she was that God has placed me here to help her through this time of "transformation" from her old life back to a Christian walk. As I heard her words in one ear, I heard God say to me in the other, "This is my plan for you here." There it was, clear as day, God's purpose spoken directly to me...enjoy my family, pour into this friend. I immediately became emotional, but I held back the tears and a smile spread wide across my face. I felt peace and contentment rush over me; God's plan started to make a little more sense.

So now, in a little less than a month's time, God has answered three of my prayers. He's saved my friend, provided me a Christian friend (my age) in Goshen, & He's shown me my purpose here.
He also gave me a vision one night while I was praying of me standing in Manchay, Peru with children surrounding me. I strongly believe this was Him confirming His future plan for my life.  



I think it will be a very long time before I doubt God's power through prayer again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment