Sunday, September 13, 2009

One Month Down...

I hadn't put much thought to it until this afternoon when someone asked me how long I've been here in Peru. It was then that I realized I've been here a month already...1/4 of my stay has passed. It's crazy to think that, and I'm trying not to as there is still so much I want to do. I feel like I'm finally settling into a routine and really getting the grip of life here (like going to the grocery store or how to get various places). Everything is no longer new every day, but it's becoming normal, my life, my home. I've really enjoyed the last month, and each day I praise God for bringing me back here one more time. Of course there have been ups and downs, but thankfully the ups outweigh the hard times.

I really enjoy my time outside of school...helping out at the children's home, Bible Study with Kids Alive staff/missionaries, and simply enjoying the culture and my surroudings with friends. I've gotten to know some great people and develop deeper relationships with some of those I had met previously. I've heard some heartbreaking life stories, and opened up the deeper parts of myself to those around me. Each day I am humbled by the majesty of our Saviour, Jesus Christ as I look around at the environment in which I live. I'm humbled by the gratitude of his people despite their circumstances. I am filled with joy every time the children at the Kids Alive home greet me with hugs, kisses, and words of encouragement. My breath is taken away when I see these kids shine for Christ and worship him with their whole heart. They bring me joy just because of the love of Christ that flows freely through them. Luke 18:16-17 says, "But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'" The children at the home really know how to live out this verse, and I strive each day to have a faith more like theirs.

This week was overall my best week yet. I'm finally getting the hang of the school procedures and a grip on the management of my class (which has been difficult considering the language barriar and the fact that because I'm the third teacher this year, the students have had a hard time adjusting to yet another change).
  • After a busy weekend, I spent Monday and Tuesday evenings relaxing and just catching up on my always growing to-do list.
  • Wednesday I went to the children's home to find them not doing homework but cleaning. Having just showered I was a bit disappointed, but I quickly became busy translating a paper for one of the mothers from Spanish to English, pulling weeds and playing in the dirt with a few of the boys, and sweeping the entire concha. I did get to help with a little homework, but I must admit, cleaning with the kids was a lot more fun than I thought it might be.
  • Thursday I went to Bible Study with the Kids Alive staff/missionaries and friends. We just started studying the book of Galatians which is one of my favorites, so I'm excited to continue this.
  • Friday I went out to eat for one of the teacher's birthdays. We went to Roky's which is a chicken restaurant (kind of like port-a-pit). We had some good conversations, but most of all it was enjoyable to be out with some of the teachers away from the school setting.
  • Saturday I graded literature papers for the high school teacher since she is not a native English speaker. I spent the afternoon at the children's home with my friend Javier. We took the kids to Awana and picked them up afterwards. In the evening I went to one of the teacher's homes for dinner and a movie which is always nice and relaxing.
  • And finally today, I went to church, had lunch with Elise (a missionary with Kids Alive), and then headed to the children's home to hang out with the kids. I had fun playing in the sandbox, pushing them on the swings, playing a form of monkey in the middle, and sharing pizza (thanks to Javier) with all the kids.

This week is going to be a busy one, but I think I like it that way. I don't spend so much time thinking when I'm busy. People are starting to ask me about my plans for next year (i.e. after this school year ends), and while I'm thinking about it, I'm just not sure what God wants. I keep praying that he'll open the right doors here or in the States, and that I will know just what I'm supposed to do. Being a future oriented person, it isn't easy not having a plan beyond December 18th when school ends, but I'm learning to take things one day at a time.

My health is better, as I've finally adjusted to the environment. School is going better, and I'm becoming more confident getting around the city and exploring what Lima has to offer. I believe the next three months are going to pass more quickly than I'd like, but I'm sure they will have just as much to offer as this one has. Thank you for all of your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment