Sunday, September 6, 2009

If I Just Breathe...

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." ~ 1 Corinthians 15:58

This verse has become very dear to me in the recent months, and God brought it to my attention multiple times this week. As most of you know, I've had a rough adjustment into this particular school's program. It's very different from the methodologies I had learned in university as well as my philosophy of education. However, because I keep Christ as my focus each day and allow my work to be his work, I know that my labor is not in vain. I pray that I learn something that will enhance my future classroom even though somedays I feel inner conflict because this is so very different from my previous view of education.

It has been wonderful that God has so uniquely provided frequent breaths of fresh air outside of the school day. Through homework help at the Kids Alive home, Bible Study with missionaries and Peruvians related with Kids Alive, relaxing with friends and neighbors, and just traveling around the different parts of Lima I am able to get away a bit and enjoy my surroundings.

Today I went to the coast in Miraflores which is more of a tourist type area. It was quite hazy today (typical winter weather), but I did capture a few photos of the coast from up above on the mountain.



We also walked down to the Parque de Amor (Park of Love). There was a gorgeous mosaic wall surrounding the park, and some very pretty landscaping nearby.

There is so much to see in this country. I keep hearing about the Highlands and the Jungle and how unique each geographic region is. I'd really like to visit more outside of Lima, but I'm just not sure that is possible this time around. We have no long weekends all semester, so there really is no good time to go too far way. However, Lima has some very gorgeous parts, and I'm enjoying getting to see each of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment