Saturday, September 19, 2009

Comida Diferente, Besos, y Más

Comida Diferente

Mamá is downstairs cooking up a meal of conejo y verduras (rabbit and vegetables). They have invited me to eat with, and since I've turned them down before as I'm usually running from one place to another, I decided to dine with them today. We'll see how it goes! I have tried rabbit before, and Mamá is a good cook, so I'm sure it will be a good meal. I guess I should be used to trying new things by now...stomach, intestine, heart, ceviche, and guinea pig. Not to mention all of the fruits the I'd not had until I moved here. I miss North American cooking sometimes, but I really like a lot of the food here, too.


Besos

I'm getting more used to greeting others with the traditional "kiss on the cheek". It can still have it's awkward moments, but it is also very inviting and welcoming. On the other hand, I cannot recall one time yet that haven't left the house and not had a bus, taxi driver, or man on the street make kissing sounds at me. It gets kind of old after a while.


Más


My week has been quite busy, as are most weeks. Monday I went out to dinner at Chili's with the director of the school. She's really a great lady. I have been granted permission to implement "morning exercises" into the learning center (classroom) to get the day started. I've been having trouble calming my kids down in the mornings as they come in and are expected to get right to work. This doesn't quite work with 6 year olds, so I inquired about the possibility of reading to them, doing warm up math, phonics, or geography instruction with them. She liked the idea, and thank you to God I will actually get to do a little bit of teaching which the lack of has been a little difficult for me to adjust to.


Tuesday I helped out at the Children's Home. The older boys that live away from the main campus came for devotions, so with Elise I helped to finish up the Christmas card project I had designed and begun when I came with the missions team in June.


Wednesday I helped with homework at the Home. I love this time with the kids. The hugs, the begging for me to help them, playing and laughing with the kids. I'm not sure if who is learning more...me or them. I'm humbled by the love they have for Jesus every time I step on the property.


Thursday I went to Bible Study. Elise and I made meatloaf and green beans. I enjoy this time studying God's word in Spanish. I need to start talking more though as Nilton was trying everything in his power to get me to talk this week. Haha. I used to think I was becoming more outgoing in the states, but the longer I'm here the more I realize how much I have "quit" talking. I love the Spanish language and passion, and I'm learning quite a bit of it on my way to becoming more fluent. Now I just need to make myself talk.


I decided that Friday evening would be a time of rest. My kids were pretty wonderful this week (with the exception of Wednesday) which was a relief considering weeks past, but by Friday afternoon I was beyond exhausted. I got home from school and took an hour nap while watching Monsters vs. Aliens. I had KFC for dinner - comfort food (yes they have KFC, Burger King, and McDonalds here), and I got to talk to a few friends online. I tried to finish Monsters vs. Aliens, but once again I fell asleep. I can honestly say I only saw about 20 minutes of the whole movie. I guess I'll have to try again later.

Today I will go shopping with another teacher and to a Museum about the human body with other teachers tonight. The museum was in the states and now it's here, so I'm assuming it has been or will be coming to other countries as well. It should be interesting!


I'm coming home 3 months from today. That hardly seems possible as I feel like I just arrived. I keep telling myself that eventually life will slow down, but it doesn't seem to happen. I like the fast pace, but sometimes I wonder if it's going so fast that I am missing the "little" things in between.


Here are a few pictures from the Home. The first is of one of the children (Mercedes - Age 4) and the other is of a few friends (Javier-left, Nilton-right) on our walk back from the Home last Sunday.


Also, someone emailed me to ask about posting comments. Yes, you can post comments even if you do not have a blogspot site yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your life there. :-) We are in such different worlds right now, but I feel very close to you as you are also experiencing a new world at the same time as I am! It is so amazing to me how God holds this whole world in His hands. It is so awesome to see believers around the world worship God. They can teach us, have taught me, so much. I love you,dear. keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete