Monday, May 17, 2010

Reality vs Dreams

We all know that in most cases the life we see in our dreams differs greatly from the life we live day to day. There are very few, rare people who envision life one way in their thoughts and live it day to day calling it reality. I try to be as realistic as possible, but I still hold dreams that I doubt will ever come true. (Does that mean I lack faith? Another topic, for another night.)

About a month ago, I was challenged through a sermon series I had been following to sit for 20 minutes in complete solitude and create a list of dreams...no cellphone, no computer, no human or pet...nothing but yourself and God. The guest pastor (whom at this time I cannot recall his name) encouraged the congregation and online listeners to write down any dream that came to mind no matter how great or small how Godly or how worldly. He demanded that the audience write down EVERYTHING! He said nothing more, the congregation began to sing, and the podcast of the sermon ended.

I took the challenge; however, I may have cheated a bit because rather than a notebook and pen, I did use my computer, but I made sure to turn off the wireless key cutting off any incling to want to connect to the outside world. As I sat, I quickly wrote down one item after another. Some were connected and others were totally out there. I was surprised by some things that came to mind, and others were not surprising at all. Some dreams seemed very attainable, and others seemed a bit far fetched. However, I know that with God all things are possible, and if I trust in Him he may just choose to grant me some of my dreams.

Every since this night in which I spent those 20 minutes in solitude there have been a few things I have not been able to clear from my mind. Let me share just a few of the dreams that made the list and have haunted me every since:
  • Adopt 1-2 children from Latin America
  • Open and run an orphanage in Latin America
  • Climb a mountain and scream at the top of my lungs
  • Mentor parents so that they will know how to best support and encourage their children to succeed (Maybe I should try parenting for myself first though.)
  • Have enough money to live comfortably and debt free while also giving much to the poor
  • Serve God every moment, not missing one beat

This is just a small glimpse at the 50+ things that made the list in those 20 minutes. My heart breaks right now between what is realistic for my life at this time (or what I find to be realistic), and what dreams I hold for the future. I pray that God will bridge the gap between my dreams and my reality so that I may be living my dreams in my reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment