Monday, December 14, 2009

Out of Control

If you were to ask me how I'm doing, depending on that exact moment, you would get an array of possible answers. I cannot even begin to describe the joy and the sadness that stirs within me as I sit and type this post. One minute I cannot wait to get on that airplane early Saturday morning and the next minute I'm reminded of all I will be leaving behind in just a few short days. I've met some pretty amazing people here, and my life has been forever changed because of them; I've learned so much, and I've experienced God in ways I never had before.

It's unfortunate that it took me until the last month to really begin to make good friends my age and at a similar page of life and get plugged into a church where that was made possible. Thanks to my dear friend Nilton for helping me out with both of those. The last 5 weeks have by far been the best portion of my time here; although, I wouldn't say any of it wasn't amazing in some form or another. I'm going to miss this place, but I know I'll be back sometime either for work or to visit.

This past weekend was my last here in Peru (for now). I couldn't have asked to spend it in any better way. I've tried to capture the highlights in pictures for you below.

Friday night I helped Jon and Elise with some of the kids from the home.
We painted homemade ornaments to hang on the Christmas tree.




Saturday I finished up some Christmas shopping by shopping in an Indian Market.
I had been earlier in the week, but I was unable to finish my shopping as I wasn't
sure what to buy some people. As I shopped, this Indian band marched by.
Saturday evening, I was invited to a professional ballet of the Nutcracker.
One of the teacher's had free tickets, so a few of us went along.
It was a beautiful ballet.
Sunday, I was supposed to go to the beach with friends after church. When I woke up
the weather was less than pleasant for a day at the beach. It was a tad on the chilly side
and quite cloudy. Instead we decided to spend the day at the zoo.
Sadly, all the other girls were busy, so it was just me and the guys.
Ronald, Nilton, and Jose...Juan Carlos is taking the picture.
Despite the weather and our missing friends wehad a great day (or at least I did).
I have 4 days left here. I work from 8-4 everyday doing grades, cleaning my classroom,
and preparing things for the new teacher next year. I nearly finished 3/4 of the things to do
just today, so I'm unsure how I'll pass the rest of the week. Aside from work, I'll be saying
many good-byes in the coming days...to friends I've made and the kids at the home.
If you know me, you know I don't like good-byes. It could be quite an emotional week.

No comments:

Post a Comment