Friday, December 4, 2009

God Is In Control!

I have been reminded over and over again through many of you and also life circumstances that God is in control of my life. Some days I neglect that small yet very important fact as I try to figure out my life and plan accordingly. However, God is always quick to knock me back on my knees and remind me that He knows just what he's doing.

Most of you know that I would love to return to Peru for another year or two, and I have been looking at various schools for open positions that would fit my need to pay back my student loans as well as provide appropriate educational experiences aligned with my philosophies of education. I have been worried about telling my current principal that I would not be returning next year for these reasons, but finally on Wednesday I faced my fear and was overcome with relief. The conversation went very well. She even offered some suggestions of schools that I might want to check into. For all who had been praying for this conversation, I cannot thank you enough.

I have been presented with a potential opportunity to teach Kinder 3 next year. (In Peru, private schools - maybe public, too - start at the age 3 hence the class Kinder 3.) However, any of you that know me already know that a normal kindergarten class would be a big stretch for me as I prefer intermediate elementary. After much prayer and an email from a good friend (reminding me that patience is important) I decided to decline the position and wait to see what else God may have in store for me. Of course the job would have brought me back to Peru where I ideally want to be, but something just didn't settle right in me whenever I thought about teaching 3 year olds. Please continue to pray for God's guidance as I seek out what path lies ahead.

In other news, I have been tutoring a 17 year old practicing to take exams such as the SAT in order to study in the States. He will take the test tomorrow. I'm praying he does well; he wants to study at Harvard.

I only have 3 1/2 days of school left with my students. I have to work a whole week after they are done, but I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I'm teaching my students "Away in a Manger" to sing at our end of the year awards/graduation program. They're doing very well with the song and most are excited to be learning English music. I will spend a lot of time next week teaching them even more English Christmas songs. It kind of saddens me that the music has to be Christian; I'd really like to teach them Rudolph, Here Comes Santa Claus, Jolly Old Saint Nicholas, etc. I guess I'll just have to listen to those songs in my own time.

I leave in exactly two weeks. It's hard to believe that 4 months has already passed me by! I can't hardly remember anything from my first month here.

No comments:

Post a Comment