Friday, November 1, 2013

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving

November has arrived - my birthday month, a month of Thanksgiving, and the start of the holiday season. As I think about Novembers past, I recall the smells of autumn - pumpkin pie baking in the oven, leaves burning outside, etc. I remember birthday dinners with my family and helping Mom prepare the Thanksgiving meal. However, this November will be different. Family dinner with be a Skype call, Thanksgiving here is only something talked about not observed, and smells of autumn are replaced by signs of spring. Yet no matter if I'm here or there, Thanksgiving and it's purpose will forever be near and dear to my heart whether I eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal or not.

This month I've committed to recording one thing a day I'm thankful for. Some days I get to the end of the day and feel ashamed that I've grumbled too much and been thankful to little. I'm hoping that this challenge will refocus my thoughts, enable me to see the positive things throughout the day, and cause gratitude to be a natural response even on the tough days. I may not post my items of Thanksgiving publicly each day, but I do promise to compile a list to share here at the end of the month.

It only feels appropriate, though, to begin my sharing my first day of Thanksgiving publicly to get the month started off right. Last week I blogged about being homesick and missing some of the comforts of home which indeed I do. However, even on the days of homesickness there has been one person that has been able to make me laugh and help me to forget my sadness. I had no idea when I came to Peru what exactly the Lord's plan for me was here other than my job, but little by little the Lord continues to unfold His perfect plan for my life in ways I never imagined. In the last 3 months my life has done a complete 180 in a lot of ways, changing faster at times that I can wrap my head around, but even on the bad days I couldn't be happier.

For that, today I am thankful for God's perfect timing and His plans which are bigger than I could have ever dreamed. Four years ago when I met Javier, I never imagined we'd have the friendship and relationship we have now today. Even 8 weeks ago when we started unofficially dating I wondered what in the world we were doing and if we were ruining a good friendship. Then, hearing him talk with my parents and seeing them tear up earlier this week and as he asked their permission to make our relationship official as boyfriend and girlfriend all doubt was erased. (I'll spare you the full story of Javier and I, but you can ask if you'd like more details.) I have no doubt in my mind this is God's timing - just like bringing me here to Peru when I was thinking I wouldn't be back for a few more years.

God's plans and His timing are unfathomable. He always has the best in store for His children, and even on the tough days He never leaves our side. He does not give up on us...EVER! And for that, I give thanks because even on the dark days God is bigger and His ways are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment