Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Most Difficult...errr- Wonderful...Time of the Year

I was talking with a friend the other evening about my family holiday traditions between Thanksgiving and Christmas as we ran circles around a nearby park. As I shared my disappointment in missing making the turkey and other food for Thanksgiving dinner, going to the movies with my family, Black Friday, and cutting down a real Christmas tree, I had flashbacks to being here in Peru in 2009 and how hard it was to be away from my family during this season.

This time of year is by far the most difficult to be away from home. The holiday season isn't the same here. First of all, listening to Christmas songs about snowmen and twinkling snow while I'm sweating under the hot sun is quite odd. Second, kicking off the holidays with a Thanksgiving feast is non-existent; in fact, I'll be working the next three days just like any other week of the year. Black Friday is unheard of, and well, a real Christmas tree would most likely come in the form of a palm tree.

As I recall 2009, I have memories of shedding tears and I crossed of days on my countdown to return home. I remember being extremely homesick and at times felt like the end of my stay in Lima would never end. I couldn't leave this country soon enough, and my whole being ached to be back home in Indiana with my loved ones and friends.

This time around, however, is different. I'm still counting down the days for my return to Indiana {25 to be exact}, and I'm still homesick missing my family traditions, BUT I'm enjoying each new day. When I start to ponder about the things I'm missing in the States, I stop to focus on the blessings poured out upon my life here. When I'm tempted to wallow in self-pity, I remind myself to rejoice because God has called me to be joyful; He is my joy. When I start to think about the lack of snowmen and Christmas trees I smile because I love the warm weather that blankets me each day here.

I'm beyond blessed by friendships I have built here with teachers at school and the few friends who haven't lost touch with me. Javier is beyond caring when I begin talking to much about how I miss being in the States for this or for that. My students give me a reason to laugh each day, and God comforts me when I begin to feel all alone. 

I'm excited to head home in a little more than 3 weeks, but at the same time there are things here I will miss. For the first time in years I feel complete contentment in life. I'm living each new day as it comes, enjoying my time as a Peruvian resident, but looking forward to a visit to my homeland, and allowing God to guide my steps. Only where He leads will I follow. Though my heart at times still feels torn in two {I'm not sure it will ever be made whole again}with Christ it is made complete.

My prayer for each of you is that you would enjoy your families during this holiday season. There are people all over the world that would love nothing more than to be united with family to sit and chat, celebrate blessings, and prepare for the birthday of Jesus our Lord. Don't take one moment with your family for granted, no matter how crazy they might be. You never know when your last holiday together may be.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment