Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Journey vs The Destination

There are many famous quotes that focus on the importance of the journey; most of them blatantly point out that life isn't about the destination, but rather it is made up of a journey taking us to our final destination. I've had many conversations based around this topic recently, and it's really got me thinking.

Each one of us lives life in a daily pursuit of the journey laid out in front of us. That journey eventually leads to eternity in heaven with our Creator, or it could lead us to eternal damnation in Hell. Whether you find yourself working the same monotonous job every day or living a life of leisure and travel, you're on a journey and the final destination always results in one of the two options above.

I believe most humans are in pursuit of an earthly destination. I know I often think that when A happens, I'll follow through with B and life will be joyful and wonderful from that point forward. I tend to think that A is the final destination, and when I reach that, I will then be able to fulfill God's will for my life. However, the exact opposite is true. There is no final destination on this earth; there is no A! My daily purpose should be to seek God and fulfill His will for my life. I cannot wait until A happens to begin spreading the gospel and leading a life worth living. I must do that now, each and every day.

I was talking with two friends just last week...one a recent college graduate, the other has been at her job for 3 or 4 years now. As we chatted, we all came to the conclusion that we have no idea what we're supposed to do with our lives. We each have ideas and desires for our lives, but we don't understand what God's purpose for us is. That's when all of this clicked. God's plan for my life, is the life I'm living right now! I can't sit here waiting for life to change; God has placed me here at this time to fulfill His purposes through me. My witness doesn't begin when I go back to Peru. I stand daily as a witness of Christ, and I need to be using that to its maximum potential to spread the Good News throughout this lost and dying world. If I wait until I reach the destination to begin spreading God's Word, it will be too late; for as I stated above there is only one destination: Heaven or Hell.


We're each on a journey with one final destination. Why wait another day to begin to make a difference right where you are? Tomorrow might be too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment