Sunday, January 2, 2011

Proverbs 16

1 We can make our own plans,

      but the Lord gives the right answer.


9 We can make our plans,

      but the Lord determines our steps.


 33 We may throw the dice,

      but the Lord determines how they fall.

I love the book of Proverbs. There are so many great messages and themes that can be derived from this text. Earlier this week, I was reading chapter 16 for my devotions, and the above verses stuck out to me.

You see, anyone who knows me knows that I almost always have a plan. I'm not as "planned out" as I used to be (Peru changed me a little in that department), but I still do like to think about the future and imagine where I will be in 5 years, 10 years, and 50 years. However, I've learned that no matter how much I plan and imagine, life never turns out just the way I picture it in my mind. My life and my plans have changed drastically since my college graduation just 2 years ago. I never would have imagined then that I would teach overseas; now I am trying to pay off my loans so that I can go back. 

Just last week I was talking to friends about my plans for the future. I was telling them all about the length of time I planned to work here to pay off my loans, and then my plan to return to Peru to teach after that. Ironically, that night, about 2 hours after this conversation, I came across Proverbs 16 during my devotions. To top it off, the next morning I woke up to an email from a friend about my heart's desires and God's heart. This friend spoke of my longing and brokenness for the country of Peru, and how maybe what I think is an appropriate, responsible plan, may not be God's plan at all. 

Each day since returning home last December (2009), I pray about a future in Peru. My desire to be there grows daily, yet I feel confident that God is telling me right now isn't the right time. However, I don't know that He plans to keep me here in the States as long as I have "planned" to stay. These verses just helped to reassure me that God is in control, and that no matter how much I plan, He makes the final decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment