Monday, January 24, 2011

Continued...A Newsletter from Long Ago


They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and with this picture, I believe that to be true.

You see, if the photographer of this picture knew even half of what was going on in my mind on this day in June 2007, on this desolate beach in Peru, she may have set me down, forced me to pour out my emotions, and talked me through my conflicting thoughts. However, she did not know the stirrings of my soul in this moment as she innocently snapped a photo that leaves me speechless every time I run across it. 

As I stood on this beach, nearly 4 years ago, God continued revealing to me a path of life which would take me two more years to fully discover. It was at this place that I began to wonder about a future in Peru, but I still convinced myself it was a crazy dream and not a reality. Nearing the end of a two week mission trip, here I stood marveling at all that God had done in me and through me during this experience. I was a changed person; however, at the time, I didn't realize how changed I truly was.

Words cannot adequately describe the longing, brokenness, and pain that would follow me back to the States. My heart was changed forever, and my passion for Peru grew daily. 
If you've read my blog, you know how the story goes from here.

Needless to say, I am so grateful for this day in June 2007 and this quiet beach that allowed my mind to wander off deep in thought. I'm thankful for the friend who snapped this photo not knowing how meaningful it would later become. But ultimately, I'm in love with the Creator of this beach who never gives up on me even when I try to pass off his voice as my own crazy idea. 

And just in case you're wondering...since this day nearly 4 years ago, I have poured out my conflicting emotions and deepest thoughts to the friend who took the above picture. She is an amazing woman of God and one of many who encouraged me to follow God's call to teach in Peru. 

1 comment:

  1. Jess,

    You write so well, and I love to hear your heart and longing for the Peruvian people....and your heart for those in your classroom. Where ever you go, the Lord will use you for His glory as you keep your heart in the palm of His hand.

    ReplyDelete