Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Eres Favorecido

Last evening I was unable to sleep. My mind was racing with heavy feelings for my friends, God's grace on me as a lowly human being, and how I was going to incorporate more of Christ into my every day living so that there is not even an ounce of doubt that I am a passionate follower of Christ.

Finally about 12:30 I decided that rather than lay in bed with my eyes open and my mind racing, it would be better to spend some time in prayer. As I began to pray, I had a heavy feeling pressing me to listen to a sermon from my church in Peru. I used to listen to these weekly, but I haven't listened to them in a while. I didn't want to get out of bed to get my computer and take the time to start it up, so I passed off the "thought" as a crazy idea that maybe I would do later. However, as I continued to pray and after I finished, that prompting didn't go away, and I became curious as to why after months of not listening to these podcasts would I randomly have a "desire" to listen to one. I gave in, got out of bed, grabbed my computer, and logged on to the podcast. There were 4 available to watch, all from the month of December. I wasn't sure which to choose, so I asked God which one was meant for me. I quickly heard his response, "December 12", and I realized my cursor was already highlighting that exact sermon.

I took some notes, and thought I would share the most important points.

  • We are all children of God; it is up to us whether or not we accept His favor upon our lives.
  • When someone has chosen the favor of God they are changed. We see this change in their smile, bright eyes, and the way they love others.
  • You are blessed by God; you are favored by God.
  • God has blessed you with everything that you have. There will always be people that have less than you and need more than you. 
  • Whatever talents you have been given were given to you in order that you use them to glorify the Lord.
  • Many times we do not recognize the blessing God has placed on our lives. We ought to be grateful for the things that HE has given us. 
  • When much has been given, much is required. When God asks us to do something, it is always to advance His kingdom. 
  • We have been blessed by God in order that we may in turn bless others.
  • The world is waiting. There are people that are desperate to know the love and peace that only God can give. They are waiting for you to reach out to them and show them the mercy of Christ. You may be the only one to ever reach a specific person. 
  • God is faithful. If we do as He asks, He will take care of the details. That which is impossible for man is possible for God. 
  • The favor of God does not depend on how you feel. Sometimes the favor of God does not feel good, but in the end, everything is for His glory. Sometimes we think that what we are doing has no worth, but God is using us even when we don't realize it. 
  • Look at what God has done throughout your life. Everything, good and bad, has occurred in order to help us to grow in faith and love.
Another great example of why I miss Peru so much...my Pastor Robert Barringer hits me on the spot all the time!! Lo and behold, this sermon hit right on the spot with my thoughts, and after hearing it, I quickly drifted off to sleep for 7 1/2 straight hours.

Earlier in the day I had read a short blog about serving others and living out the
will of God in 2011. At the end of the blog there was a quote listed
by Donald Miller. It went something like this...
"I will not watch 2011. I will participate!"
My question for you is...

Pasion para Servir! Lo tienes?? = Passion to Serve! Do you have it?

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Just happened to see your picture on my blog and wanted to find out who the new visitor was! What a beautiful space you have here! What a beautiful heart you have for the Lord - your honesty is so simple, yet heartfelt. Your heart for orphans and ministry is similar to my daughter's - she longs to be on the mission field.

    One thing you wrote in here struck me - those who seek God's favor. What a beautiful truth! As Christians, we need to hear this more and more....seeking God's favor.

    I can't wait to see what He has in store for you! As while you're waiting you have a ministry every day to those children who are placed especially in that room - you for them. A teacher has more influence than you will ever know.....really.

    Blessings to you, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    You are too kind! I actually came across your page via your Facebook, and I loved the few posts I read; they were so inspiring.
    I started this blog while I was teaching in Lima, Peru in 2009. It was a way to keep those sponsoring me updated on my work there. Once I returned, I continued to blog in a slightly different form. I pray to return to Peru one day, but until then I know God has me right where he wants me.
    Thanks for the encouragement and the Godly example you live out each day.
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete