Friday, October 18, 2013

¡TeMbLoR!

It's been quite the week. It was the first week back in class after a 9 day break, and I must admit it's been quite exhausting. On top of that, I contracted a stomach bug (I blame the salad I had for lunch Tuesday because I haven't felt well since then), and I can't eat hardly anything without feeling sick shortly after. I've gotten by with Tums, and yesterday I went and got some medicine from the pharmacy. Having not felt well and feeling exhausted, last night I headed to bed around 10 (nearly an hour and a half earlier than my normal); however, I was rudely awakened last night at 2:30 a.m. from a deep sleep, and I was more than a little nervous and confused.

You see, Peru is on a fault line, and tremors and small earthquakes are common. I don't know if it's because I'm not used to them or what, but typically unless they are strong I don't feel them. For instance, yesterday morning while in the shower apparently there was a tremor. I'm thankful it wasn't strong because the shower is the last place I want to be if it becomes necessary to evacuate the building. Haha!

This morning was a different story, though. I was in a deep sleep when I heard the glass bottles on my dresser begin to rattle and clank softly against one another. I woke up afraid someone might be in my bedroom, but then I heard the neighborhood dogs barking and my windows and door rattling. I sat in bed realizing a tremor was occurring and wondering if I should get up and grab a sweatshirt in case I needed to head outside, but it passed within a few minutes. I laid in bed still wondering what to do. I was afraid to fall asleep for fear of another tremor to follow, so I committed myself to pray. After spending some time in prayer, I drifted back to sleep.

The tremor was the only thing anyone talked about for the first few hours of the day. I got in the taxi to head to work, and the taxi driver asked me immediately if I felt the tremors (yes, plural) last night. I told him I felt one at 2:30 a.m., and he informed me of another between 4:00-5:00 a.m. which I must have slept through. On the radio I heard there was a 4.0 magnitude earthquake just an hour-ish south of where I live.

At school everyone, teachers and students alike, were talking about the tremors. My students came in full of energy (as usual) asking, "Miss Jessica, sentiste el temblor?" "Yes, I felt it. Did you?" I responded. {In order to help them learn and practice English, I try to always respond to their questions in English even when asked in Spanish.}

Tremors are normal in Lima, and they are something you just learn to deal with, but each time fear overcomes me. What if this time it isn't just a tremor. What if it gets strong? What do I do? Where do I go? I asked a friend a few weeks ago what the protocol is for earthquake emergencies, and he informed me of where to go should I be home. My neighbors below me are quite friendly and very concerned for me as a single woman living here, so I assume they would check on me, too.

In the end it comes down to God's protection and my faith in Him. As I become more confident in my surroundings, I'm realizing my prayers for protection and safety aren't as persistent as they were in the beginning. My reliance on God's strength guided me through each new day has faded, and I'm falling into the feeling of comfort. I'm comfortable with my life as it is, I'm comfortable leaving my house on my own and taking public transportation to get from one place to another. I'm comfortable in my job, and I'm comfortable with the friends I've made. However, that comfort shouldn't lead to my complacency in my faith and relationship with Christ.

Comfort isn't what Christ died for; He died so that we would be made right before God and have the opportunity for an intimate relationship with Him. He didn't bring me here to Peru, thousands of miles from my home, to be comfortable. I believe His purposes for me here are bigger than simply living a "comfortable" life, and I'm ashamed that I've fallen into routines and habits. I desire intimacy with Christ, passionate faith that brings others to their knees before the heavenly throne, and a prayer life so centered in Christ that every word and thought would be tied to conversation with my Savior. I desire radical living, living that doesn't come from comfort but rather from discomfort. I want to be different from the crowd and known as a woman who feared the Lord and lived only for Him.

While the "temblor" might have awaken me from my sleep and scared me quite a bit last night, I'm thankful that I have a God whom I can trust. He has the perfect plan for humanity. He desires intimacy with me, and He intervenes in my life even when I fail to notice His presence. He loves me, and He has blessed me beyond what I deserve. He is my protector, my counselor, and my friend, and I choose to depend on Him for all the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment