Saturday, August 24, 2013

Stars in the Sky

On my walk from the bus stop after work Thursday, staring up at the dirt mountains around me with the sun shining brightly upon them, I was reminded of how small I am and how great our God is. 

It's been quite an adventure these last few weeks, and my type A personality has been feeling quite overwhelmed and slightly out of control at times. I've been here before, I know how things work, yet, there's always that adjustment phase that one must endure when change occurs. On my walk home this evening, as I was gazing up at the mountains around me, I couldn't help but surrender my will to the Lord. In those moments I realized how much I've been trying to control things, cultural things I'm realizing I need to let go of. At times I've found myself complaining a lot, wishing things were as they were in the States - more hot water pressure in the shower, internet that works in more than just my bedroom, less traffic, missing foods prepared with ingredients at home, more easily accessible materials at school, etc. 

I also find myself struggling relationally more each year. People move on and change, friends come and go, and I never know from year to year who will still be around, who has moved on, or who I've lost commonality with. It's sometimes hard as a relationally focused person to understand why people come and go, but I'm thankful for the few good friends I've kept throughout the years, and I'm blessed by three in particular who have been above and beyond helpful. 

School is going well. I've begun teaching a few classes on my own and co-teaching a few others. Materials aren't widely available here, and my bulletin board space is limited. Charts and workshop style teaching are unheard of, and the mix of PYP with the Peruvian educational requirements makes things much different than what I'm used to in the classroom. I do think I'll have some freedoms in teaching things as I choose to, but it will be a matter or thinking differently in order to follow the program themes and ideas for each term's requirements. 

I've not gotten involved much with the ministry aspect of things yet. I've been to the children's home once, and I met friends from the family care center for dinner earlier this week. I'm still trying to figure out my schedule and routine before I add more to it. I hope to get more involved somehow, whether through translating for ministries or getting involved more at an orphanage or something of the sort. 

Don't get me wrong; I am so glad to be here! I'm enjoying things as they come and taking one day at a time. Of course I miss home, having hot water in all sinks and faucets, and driving myself around rather than depending on buses, but I wouldn't change where I'm at during this phase of life for anything. I'm thankful for the mountains today that were set as my reminder that God is in control, that He knows His plans for me beyond what I can fathom at this point, and He holds me closely in His arms during those moments when I feel alone in this world. 

I heard a song tonight while relaxing and listening to Spotify. Kari Jobe says it so beautifully in her song "Stars in the Sky". She sings: 

The faith in my heart will sing
Of what Your love can do
And even when life weighs heavy on me
I know You're in control

And You're all I need.

 If you'd like to listen to the whole song, I'll leave you with this link for the youtube lyric video

Other Random Happenings:
  • My first week here I was on a bus that got pulled over by the police for running a red light. After some arguing and what appeared to be a bribe we continued on our journey. Flashbacks of the police entering the bus and demanding to see everyone's ID a few years ago came to mind. This time I was prepared though with my ID unlike a few years back. 
  • Last weekend I entered a bus and just a few miles down the road the tire went flat. Thankfully as we exited the bus the cobrador (money taker) gave us our money back, and my friends and I got on another bus to continue our journey. 
  • The kids at school don't understand why my hair is different colors since I say I don't "paint" it. Hard for them to believe the sun naturally dyes me hair.
  • I'm learning to boil water in a pan to wash dishes, buy groceries just a few things at a time, and cook with ingredients different than what I'd find at home.
  • School lunches are so much better than in the States and all of the teachers actually eat it. {Sorry NPE!}
  • I miss the Christian atmosphere at Fairfield. It really was something special, but I don't think I realized how special it was until this last week. I am, however, thankful for the few Christian teachers I have met.
  • It's about a 5 block walk from my apartment to the bus/taxi pick-up and at least that far from school to the bus stop. I'm getting lots of walking in these last few weeks.
  • And last but not least -When given the choice to hang out with Peruvians or Gringos I will choose Peruvians most of the time. {Sorry Gringos!}



1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this - amazing all that you're doing. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete