Thursday, June 13, 2013

In ALL Things GOD works for the GOOD of Those Who Love Him!

Despite frustration and annoyance, I can’t help but believe that today was a day completely designed and planned out by God himself. I learned yet another lesson in patience, flexibility, determination, and God’s overall provision. After a mechanical issue on my first flight and sitting longer in South Bend Airport {boring}, rebooking for a later flight which would reroute my entire trip, finding out that flight was also delayed until further notice, another rebooking, and 6 hours later than originally planned I arrived in San Antonio tired but full of energy and excited for a great vacation with my high school best friend.

Some of you may be saying, “How in the world would you consider the multiple flight changes God ordained?” At first, that’s what I thought, too. However, having had time to reflect, that’s the only explanation I can comprehend. I’ve flown multiple times and only once been delayed just slightly but without interference to any connecting flights. I’ve not lost luggage, and I’d never been on a plane that’s had known mechanical issues. {Knock on wood, right?} Today all of the above happened – except the luggage - Praise the Lord I didn’t check a bag; it’s hard telling where that might have ended up.

While sitting in South Bend this morning, I noticed a teenage girl hugging good-bye to her mother as we boarded the first flight {the one with the mechanical issue}.  I also observed her mom talking to another couple that seemed to be a family friend. {I love people watching in the airport.} Once on the plane the girl was seated by herself across the aisle from me, and the “family friends” were rows in front of us. We sat on the plane for about 20 minutes waiting for the mechanic to give us the final go {mind you, we’d already been delayed an hour}. After those 20 minutes, it was determined that the mechanic servicing our plane didn’t have the knowledge to fix the error, so we were told we had to get off the plane. I heard the teenage girl across the aisle ask the family friends what she should do, to which they responded that they were just going to go home. I hesitated, but then felt that I should see if she needed help. It was friendship instantly!

We waited at the check-in counter for an hour and a half together talking and sharing similar interests in Christianity, missions, and outreach to the spiritually poor and brokenhearted while also trying to figure out what our options were – she was flying to Philadelphia to visit her biological mom. They booked us on separate flights mine at a later time to Atlanta, and hers still to Detroit but at a later time as well.  Her mother ended up returning to the airport {which I later learned was her foster mom}, and she offered to take us out for lunch.

We left the airport and headed to Subway and Starbucks. Through conversation I learned that my new friend is technically from Liberia, and she moved to Philadelphia with her mom in 2007. In 2008 she was placed in foster care, and she has been with this family since then. Her “mom” is the principal at Elkhart Christian Academy and a former 3rd grade teacher, so we were able to swap school stories and talk about church and other such things.

Upon returning to the airport for our new flights at 2:30pm, I learned that mine had been delayed to 7pm, and I would then miss my connecting flight out of Atlanta with the next flight to San Antonio being tomorrow morning {my original flight was scheduled for 10:20 this morning and was set to arrive in San Antonio at 5pm}. I immediately went to the ticket counter to see if there was any possible way I could reschedule on an earlier flight. While waiting in line, we learned that Musu’s flight, too, had been delayed.

Long story short, the broken plane from this morning had been fixed, and there was room on it for both of us to fly to Detroit if we left immediately. However, the flights from Detroit were all being delayed due to weather, and we weren’t given departure times for our connections to our final destinations. We arrived in Detroit hoping to find flights to Philadelphia and San Antonio. God is faithful, because we both ended up on flights leaving shortly after 8pm only 9 gates away from one another. {Detriot is huge, so this was a blessing.}

We sat together in the airport for 3 hours, had dinner together, and then parted ways. I’m so thankful that God provided a friend for the day because it would have been a L.O.N.G. day by myself. I’m also glad that I was able to help her out. {I could tell her mom was a bit hesitant putting her on a plane to Detroit with no for sure plan once she got there.}


While I wasn’t thrilled to be delayed, cancelled, late, etc. I do know that in all things God’s plans are best, and I’m sure that today was no exception. I’m now here in San Antonio with Cassandra ready to enjoy the next 4 days together! God is good!! 

Let's hope my trip home is slightly less complicated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment