Sunday, June 30, 2013

Christian Materialism

As the days disappear and my 'big move' quickly approaches, I've begun to think about what things I'll take with me, what things I'll store, and what things can be gotten rid of. As I look around my apartment, I feel a sense of pride for the decor I've added and the 'stuff' that makes my apartment home. It's sometimes hard to think that I'll have to part with my cute lamps and wall decorations, and even my comfy bed. I don't want to give up my 12 piece, nonstick Pampered Chef pan set, and I don't want to leave my plates and silverware that are just my style sitting in a box for 2 1/2 years.

Then, I read Operation World, and the conviction comes rushing over me. I read statistics that inform me that 2.8 billion people live on less than $2/day {less than $730/year) and 1.2 billion people live on less than $1/day {less than $365/year}. That's less than I make each pay period as a teacher here in the US. I think of a dear Peruvian friend that lives with her teenage daughter in a 3 room house smaller than my apartment without a proper bathroom.

I read these statistics on a Christian blog that I follow:

  • If you have any food in your fridge, any clothes in your closet, any small roof, rented or owned, over your head, you are richer than 75% of the rest of the world. We are the Esthers living inside the palace.
  • If you have anything saved in the bank, any bills in your wallet, any spare change in a jar, you are one of the top 8% wealthiest people in the world. We are the Esther’s living inside the gate.
  • If you can read these words right now, you have a gift 3 billion people right now don’t, if your stomach isn’t twisted in hunger pangs, you have a gift that 1 billion people right now don’t, if you know Christ, you have a gift that untold millions right now don’t.

Suddenly packing in 2-3 suitcases and a carry-on doesn't seem so bad. 

Remember the story of the Rich Man in Mark 10?
17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”
20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”
24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

I firmly believe that the church in America (and around the world) is allowing materialism to slip in. Our churches keep getting bigger. We have more lights, sounds, and entertainment in churches than ever before. Prosperity theology {the health and wealth gospel - If you follow God, He will make you wealthy and keep you healthy} is being preached from the pulpit around the world misleading multitudes of people. We have fallen into the belief that bigger is better and all of our 'big' things are blessings for our good faith.

Satan, is lying to you and he's lying to me. Our earthly possessions are by no means a direct result of how strong our faith is. What about Christians in the deserts of Africa living on $1/day? If you believe your material possessions are a direct result of your faith, then you also must believe your African Christian brother who lives on $1/day must not be giving God his entire self. Do you believe that's true? I certainly don't. In fact, while working with people in living in poverty in Peru, I've realized that some of those people have stronger faith than I do, and they live with a whole lot less than I have.

Satan wants us to believe that bigger is better. He wants us to think that our possessions are a result of our faith in God. If he can get us to focus on our material things, then he is successful at taking our focus off of Christ and the cross. Isn't that exactly what Satan wants?

On the flip side, I believe that God has blessed each one of His followers rich and poor. I do believe that I am blessed, and my material possessions are a blessing. I believe that God has blessed me so that I can be a blessing to others. Each year when I go to Peru I take money I have saved with me, and I use it to bless those I encounter. I take a friend out to a meal she may not be able to afford for herself and we share life together over dinner, I've used it to buy clothing for a family in need, I've been able to support a family business by buying some of the product.

I also believe that my Christian sister living in poverty is a blessing to me. Her passion to serve the Lord and the depth and honesty in her prayers brings a tear to my eye. I want the faith she has, I desire to be as dependent on God as she is. Another friend has taught me what it means to trust God's plan while living in a home with a drunk father and absent mother. Even on the tough days, he admits that God has blessed him and he seeks to look for the good in everything rather than complain.

Life isn't about having money and things, and bigger definitely isn't better. Sometimes having an abundance of things is daunting (especially when it comes to sorting and packing everything to store or get rid of). Next time I start to think about what I'll take with me to Peru, I will choose not to complain about the limited weight and space I can carry with me. Will all of my favorite kitchen utensils, children's books, and clothing fit in my suitcases? Probably not, but I will choose to thank God for the things I do have room for, and I'll silently stow away the things that I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment