Friday, April 12, 2013

Gloomy, Growing Spring


*Disclaimer - I haven't forgotten about the Prayer for the Nations posts. I am still working my way through the world in prayer. Perhaps tomorrow I will post a small blurb about the most recent countries I've been praying for.*


I'm definitely a summer kind of girl! Give me blue skies, green grass, and a bright yellow sun and I'm happy. However, this season definitely isn't summer. The last few days as I've gone through the day, I can't help but look out my classroom window in disgust at the nasty weather occurring outside. Gray clouds, rain, cold... I don't like this weather! Don't get me wrong, I love a good summertime thunderstorm, the smell of rain, and the sunshine that comes out to dry everything up, but this springtime, cloudy, cold, wet junk just isn't for me. It puts me in a bad mood. (Although, I am so thankful that winter is gone! There is hope for warmer days!)

Then last evening as I gazed out my patio door at the grass turning green and the daffodils budding, I realized something - without the cloudy, rainy days there wouldn't be beautiful, warm, summer days. Without the rain the grass wouldn't be green and flowers would not come to life. And sadly enough, if it were always hot and sunny, I may not enjoy the summer days as much, although I have a hard time believing that.

That's when it hit me, God threw a life application my way that hit close to home. Through the gloomy weather something magnificent is taking place. Soon these "sad" days will be replaced by merry and bright days and in just a few weeks the gloom will turn to beauty. What's the application you may ask...

These gloomy days which will soon be turning to joyous occasions are much like our own lives. The times of sadness and struggle are the times when the Lord is often refining us in some way to change darkness into beauty. (Not that He isn't always at work, but I think you get the point.) He uses our trials and struggles to grow us in character, maturity, and love, and in the end we come out of the trying times a better person - a more beautiful person if you will. He is the potter and we are His clay. He is constantly at work molding us and shaping us through everything that comes our way. He turns the bondage of sin and ugliness into redemption and beauty.

On a more personal note, this hit close to home. I've been in a valley of spiritual growth recently, and I honestly don't feel as close to God or excited about spiritual things as I did just a few months ago. My life feels dry despite my daily Bible reading and prayer times throughout the day. As I was pondering the thoughts about last evening, I was challenged to let go of some sin in my life that I continue to hold onto. I was pushed to let go of sin that is keeping me in bondage and affecting my relationship with the Lord. Of course it will take time, but I'm ready to become a better me, a more beautiful version of myself.

What sin are you holding onto that God wants to change from gloom into beauty? Pray, confess your sin to Him, and allow Him to mold you into the person He has chosen you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment