Sunday, March 3, 2013

Why Go There {Peru}?

When I first learned I'd be moving to Peru later this year, I was quick to share the news with those close to me, and a little hesitant to voice it aloud to those I didn't know so well. I hated all the follow-up questions.
  • Why are you going there? (It has been a dream of mine for quite some time.)
  • Do you not like your job here? (I l...o...v...e my job here, but I feel like this is what God wants me to do.)
  • What will you be teaching when you get there? (3rd and 4th grade English in a private British school.)
  • Where will you live? (I don't know!)
  • Do you have family or a boyfriend there? (Nope!)
Then came the statement, "That's great for you! I'd never be able to do that. You are so brave."

Now, I'm getting used to the shocked faces, the excited responses, and the "you're crazy" conversations. I am starting to enjoy the reactions I get from people, and it has become a great way to openly share my faith.

It's interesting to see the responses I get when I tell people that I feel like moving to Peru is what God wants me to do. Some of them respond with, "Well that's great for you! Good luck!" Others ask further questions. Not too long ago I was asked by a friend of mine how I knew that was God's plan and not just a dream of my own. It was awesome to share with her (she has a very skewed knowledge of the Bible) my certainty that this was God's plan and not my own doing.

It was my dream when I was searching for a job in Peru. I spent two years checking schools online for postings and emailing my resume shortly before the end of each academic year. At that time it wasn't God's plan, it was my own. Now I am confident that this is God's plan because for over a year I hadn't even looked at a Peruvian school webpage. I quit searching on my own, and I told God that if it was what He wanted then He had to open the door. I told God I was done trying to override His plan for my life. It was just a few short months later that God opened the door I had been seeking and hoping for since 2009.

My friend didn't respond much, and recently has informed me that she just isn't sure where her life is headed or what she is supposed to do with herself. It breaks my heart that she doesn't put her confidence in the Lord, but I have hope that my testimony reached her even if in only a small way.

I've been able to share with people about ministry and missions I'm involved with in Peru, and I've realized a deeper passion for the Lord and a greater desire to serve Him in all that I do. No longer do I get annoyed with all of the questions people ask, but I welcome them.

Soon, I'll be in Peru, and I'm sure the taxi drivers will ask me why I'm there. It happens every year. While it may get old answering the same questions over and over again, my hope is that the Lord will use me through this to be a vessel for Him and reach people in this lost and dying world.

My prayer tonight: Take my life and let it be, all for YOU and for YOUR glory! I will not boast in me alone, for I know that it is only by God's grace and His plan that I am able to live this wonderful life I'm living. He is good, and only He is worthy to be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment