Monday, January 14, 2013

Prayer Africa & Kisses from Katie



Step #2 to the Operation World Guide to Prayer for the Nations is AFRICA! Africa is the continent with the largest and fastest growing evangelical population in the world. There is a lot happening in Africa to praise the Lord for, but there is still much to be prayed for.


  • Praises:
    • Growing evangelical population.
    • African churches are strong on scriptures and outreach. They are expectant of miracles, fervent in prayer, and courageous against the powers of darkness. 
    • Growing mission force.
  • Concerns for Prayer
    • 40% illiteracy rate - greatest challenge for Bible translation.
    • Government corruption, war, child soldiers, LRA
    • Widespread disease - Malaria, HIV/AIDS, TB, malnutrition
    • Middle East conflicts
    • Poverty - Africans have begun to form dependence on others to "help out" rather than seeking to help themselves. (Sounds like the direction the U.S.A. is headed actually.)
    • Displacement of Africans and human trafficking which results in a drive to get to a "better life".
    • Needs within the church:
      • discipleship
      • evangelism to Muslim world.
      • Leaders and effective pastoral and leadership training programs
      • Funds to send and support missions
      • Clear understanding of holistic ministry (spiritual, emotional, and physical) as well as a thorough acceptance of Christ's salvation and the repentance of sin.


God must have had a hug sense of humor when a friend told me I should read the book Kisses from Katie at the same time I was praying for Africa. You see, while I cherish missionaries to Africa and I marvel at the landscapes and I my heart breaks for the people, I've honestly never had much of a desire to travel to Africa. I'd rather stick to South America and the needs there. However, after reading Kisses from Katie and learning more about Africa through Operation World my interest in this part of the world has been sparked. I'm still not sure I'd choose Africa over South America if given the opportunity, but my ears may perk up a bit higher now when Africa is mentioned in conversation.

Last evening as I prayed for Africa, I prayed to live a life of impact just as Katie Davis has. I may not be moving to Uganda or adopting 13 children, but I am moving to Peru to teach 25+ children for 3 years. Beyond that, I have no idea what the Lord has in store for my life. However, I do know that His plans for my life are greater than anything I could ever ask for or imagine, and I'm excited to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment