Monday, January 23, 2012

Peace?

School started again, and the crazy life has resumed. However, even among the busyness, my mind never stops. I question my life, and I often wonder if I'm doing all I can to share the love of the Lord. I wonder about God's plan for me, I wonder about God's plan for the world. I think about people and social classes. I ponder the Word of God, and I spend time praying for my friends, family, and uncertainties. Not a day goes by that I don't have flashbacks to Peru, and each day my heart tears a bit more with a desire to return and not leave.

Since moving out of my parents' home three weeks ago, my opportunities to be alone and think have quadrupled. I am alone most evenings, and even with the distractions of internet and tv, my mind still races. Often I lie awake unable to stop the concerns of my heart and mind, these are my favorite times to pray. I pray about the things on my mind, often in English but almost always I find myself switching to praying in Spanish. I love praying in Spanish; my prayers seem more lively, more hopeful, and more passionate. English just gets so boring sometimes.

Recently, I've felt much peace that this whole Peru thing is very near to working itself out. I'm not sure what form it will work out, but I just have peace that God is bringing it altogether for my return...a long term return. I'm not saying that it will happen this month or this year even, but I am hopeful that an irresistible opportunity is soon to present itself.

As my departure date for my summer trip approaches, I find myself missing things about Peru that for the last 6 months haven't even crossed my mind...the buses/taxis, sunny-ish days and cool nights, smells, the food...honestly, everything. I leave the last week of June, approximately 155 days from now. I am so excited to go back home, but this heavy heart I'm carrying will only grow heavier as my trip approaches.

Plans for this summer in Peru include a trip to Iquitos in the jungle and Arequipa/Nasca/Ica along the coast and in the highlands. The first is sure to be an experience it being my first time in the jungle. Have I mentioned, I don't like bugs and snakes, and I love showering??  The second trip will be more of a historical/fun trip to see Peru's past culture and traditions as well as to go sandboarding (I need to learn how to do that first). I hope to rent dune-buggies in Ica, too :)

Summer can't come fast enough, but I'm doing my best to enjoy the time I have here while I have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment