Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Great is Our God

My class has recently begun doing research for a nonfiction writing assignment. Each child was permitted to choose a topic of interest from our science and social studies lessons this year. They were then to take what we had learned already and develop it to another level of understanding through questioning and research. One of my students chose to research the sun, and one question she asked was, "Does the sun make sound?" First of all, I was surprised that a third grader had thought of such a question, and then I got really excited to share some of my knowledge with this child and the rest of the class.

You see, at the beginning of the month I attended a Louie Giglio (I just love his name!) event in Ft. Wayne. I haven't stopped thinking of his message and God's splendor since that night. Louie spoke about the universe praising God, and he shared clips of the universe and noises that surround us, noises that God created to praise Him. He shared Psalm 150 which begins with, "Praise the Lord". This chapter also ends by declaring, "Praise the Lord." Louie Giglio went on to share various objects in space (the sun, stars, pulsars, etc.) and zoomed in on their sounds for all to hear. I had never even considered that such objects would dare make a sound. What a concept! Next, Mr. Giglio moved on to items on earth (whales, wind, etc.). Finally, he spoke about how all creation cries out to God, but somehow humanity, one of God's most prized creations has failed to seriously praise him. We praise him shyly (if at all), and give him hardly the credit that He deserves. Our praise has become less than joyful; most of the time it is simply noise in God's ear as we sing with still faces in a routine-like fashion.

To close out the message, Louie put all of the sounds he had shared together in one glorious blend of praise. He allowed them to play and as the crowd fell to complete silence, Chris Tomlin faded in playing How Great is Our God. The blend of the sounds was incredible. Tears flooded my eyes as I realized how "in tune" creation was with Christ, yet how "out of tune" humanity seems to be. It breaks my heart to ponder the complacency of today's church. I want to be part of the change the church needs. I hope my praise to God is not simply noise to His ears.

Now back to the top...
It was because of this night with Louie Giglio that I knew that the sun makes sound as it burns. I was able to share the noise of the sun with my students, and we discussed other objects in the universe that make sound. I had a great time with my class listening to sounds of the universe for about 10 minutes. They were amazed, and I was filled with joy as one child asked, "Miss O'Connor, how is that even possible?" My answer: "God can do all things. He created the universe, and he made the sound to give him something to listen to." My students sat in silence for a moment before one child shouted out, "That's so cool!!" My heart immediately smiled :)


I haven't been able to find any youtube videos from the specific night I attended this fantastic event, but I found a similar version of the first part of the sermon. Listen if you wish.


No comments:

Post a Comment