Monday, March 28, 2011

Crazy Love

A few months back I walked into our local Family Christian Bookstore in search of a Spanish/English Bible with the KJV in Spanish and NIV in the English translation. I found exactly what I was looking for but not before came across the bestsellers shelf. One copy of Crazy Love was standing on this shelf among other bestsellers, and I couldn't help but gravitate towards it. This seems insignificant, but might I add that friends had told me to read this book long ago. For so long I had avoided this book because I was afraid it might convict me and cause me to have to change my lifestyle. However, this cold, snowy day, in early 2011, God spoke to me and clearly told me to buy this book. Knowing it would put me over my budget for the week, I hesitated, yet I found myself moments later in the check-out line with this book and a Spanish KJV/English NIV Bible in hand.

You see, I'm cool with God. I love Jesus with my whole heart, but living in complete abandonment of self, can be a scary thought for this girl that likes to have everything under control. I like to convince myself that God is in control of my life, but often times I find myself worrying, stressed out, and clinging to MY LIFE while God is pushed to the backseat.

Currently, I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book, and I could not be more pleased with this purchase. It has made me think, and it has convicted me, but most importantly, it has developed within me a burning to desire to love God and know Him more. Many times throughout the book, I have had to stop right where I am, put the book down and pray. It has helped me to see more clearly my areas of weakness, but also it has shown me many of my strengths.

Something that stuck out to me tonight as I read was the word obsessed. Am I obsessed with Jesus, the Creator of the universe who loves me with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing loveFrancis Chan goes on to say that being obsessed with Christ means we hold NOTHING back...love others despite their flaws...take risks for Him...give Him the credit for all of our accomplishments...give to the poor even in tough times...sacrifice...serve.

And in the end...Being a Christian isn't about a list of do's and don'ts. It's about it's about falling in love with God. It's about living in reckless abandonment to him, because when you fall in love with someone, you become obsessed, and EVERYTHING CHANGES.

No comments:

Post a Comment