Monday, October 11, 2010

The Perfect Getaway

No, I did not title this after the movie, but rather because God knew I needed a short trip far away from anything normal. He knew I needed to spend some time away from the busyness of life and just relax in his creation. This weekend's whirlwind trip to Canada may have been exhausting, but it was everything I needed and more.

It was wonderful to be in nature, to be away from cable tv, internet, my cellphone, and everything else that comes with this high technology world in which we live (including heat). We even had a limited supply of water which meant only 1 shower all weekend and only flushing the toilet when necessary. It was nice to wake up with the sun, spend the entire day without a schedule; to sit in awe of the gorgeous changing leaves that surrounded our cottage on the lake and bask in the glory of our Savior. I got my Peruvian fix on a small level...music, a bit of Spanish language, and some quality time with a crazy Peruvian friend.

Highlights of the trip included: hiking to a waterfall (aka a dam), taking the canoe out for a trip around the lake, relaxing in the sunshine, spontaneously jumping into freezing cold water, sitting outside alone praying & admiring creation, failing at building a campfire due to wet wood, stargazing while shivering under blankets, and living simply. Saturday felt like the longest day in the world, but it was the best day I've had in a while.

God knew before we left that this trip was everything I needed and more. He had been preparing this trip for a while, and despite it being cancelled last weekend, God had a plan. This trip could not have come at a better time. Thank you Jesus for always giving me exactly what I need when I need it.




No comments:

Post a Comment