Sunday, October 3, 2010

Memories

I'm a big fan of memories. I enjoy looking back on the past and smiling at all the good things God has blessed me with. However, sometimes those memories also remind me of lessons I've learned along the way.

Tonight on the way home from Ft. Wayne, a friend and I shared her iPod headphones in order to drown out the awful talk radio being played by the driver...haha :-) This reminded me of the many days/nights riding in the back of taxis in Peru, sharing my iPod, and enjoying the company of a special friend.

I was also reminded that this friend changed the way I will forever treat dating. Here in the United States, I often feel the pressure of the world around me to get married. I have a lot of single friends, but I also have a good amount of friends that are married, some even with children. I'm worried that I'll fall into this "need" to be married and settle for someone less than I deserve.

I often have to remind myself that this same friend I shared my iPod with, also taught me what it means to have a Godly relationship. I remember many nights we'd spend reading the Bible together, discussing our devotions, praying together, or worshipping God with our voices and a guitar. Even now that we're over a thousand miles apart, on separate continents, our monthly conversations often lead to Godly discussions of the things we're learning, things we're struggling with, and ways God is working in our lives.

I don't know who God is preparing to be my future husband, but I know that he will be an amazing man. I pray he is a man of God that will challenge me to be a better person and a stronger, more faithful follower of Christ. I pray that he has a heart for South America, a love for children, and a longing desire to serve outside the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment